identifying sheet metal

Is there a good way for identifying an alloy type of a metal for welding and strength purposes such as spark identification. I am familiar with that but I need a good set of samples to differentiate between the 10XX 41XX 43XX and other categories not just the carbon content or whether or not it is ss, nickel, or something that extremely different. Anybody know where I should look.

sincerely, John W

Reply to
John Wizman