dumb luck

I was at work a few days ago talking about dirtbikes with a coworker. He told me he had a '71 yamaha dt1 (which was actually a CT1) and it was at a friends house outside, it's been living out there for a year or so. He said he started to take it apart because it didn't shift correctly (bent shifter, a little heat, bend, and it's fine now). He had to get it out of his buddys yard and offered to give it to another friend but he had no room for it either. I offered to take it off his hands thinking i could use the parts on something else (my garage is stuffed already with junk!). Well i picked it up and the whole bike was there including a box of parts he took off (hardware, kickstart, etc.) I put it back together and cleaned her up. Just for the heck of it i tried to kick her over... started second kick. I still have to go through it and fix a bunch of little things but for zero money, i cant believe this bike. I'll buy him lunch! here are some b4 and after pics if anyone is interested.

walt

Reply to
wallster

That's a nice little bike.. Score!

Reply to
JohnM

Yes indeed! Very nice!

Gunner

Gunner

I'd love to fall into one, even though I'm kinda afraid of one in my hands and all the trouble I could get into with the BLM. Something that can be loaded solo, cool.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Great restoration job. Most impressive. I hope that you will sell the bike rather than use it, motorcycles are deadly! If you decide to keep it and actually use it, then you definitely need a lot of "dumb luck"!

Ignoramus25487

Neet! Ride it in good health please!

There used to be a sign on our lab wall reading:

NO AMOUNT OF CAREFUL PLANNING WILL EVER DO BETTER THAN DUMB LUCK

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Drinking and driving, riding a motorcycle, selling illegal drugs, and mountain climbing would be on top of my list.

Ignoramus25487

For my future benefit, could you fill me in on the other deadly stuff? I'm going to want to avoid that too..

John

Reply to
JohnM

i'll most likely use it, i've been riding motorcycles for years and own two others. I'll take as much dumb luck as i can find!

walt

wallster

"Ignoramus25487" wrote in message news:d6tbr2$4qf$ snipped-for-privacy@pita.alt.net...

Being stupid enough to think my alpaca's are either (A) Deer (B) Elk (C) Antelope violators will be field dressed on site and the remains fed to the dogs. Trespassers will be violated (Ancient roman reference) There's a reason those fence post are spaced exactly 10m a part and painted in black and white stripes (6" wide) 8^)

Oh and women with torque wrenches! Definitely dangerous especially when they start asking questions you really don't want to answer.

Reply to
Keith Schiffner

Sex, guns, machine tools, power tools in general, gasoline, sharp objects, blunt objects, fast cars, loose women, cold toilets and the Snap On guy.

Just to name a few......

Gunner

Gunner

But explosives are ok?

Gunner

Gunner

What..no white rocks?

Gunner

Gunner

He said "deadly", not "expensive", Gunner.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I am intrigued...

Ignoramus25487

Talk about old memories! I later had a DT-175, '78 model, but these older models were what was in when I first starting riding as a kid. A friend a mine left a DT-1 with me for a couple of weeks so I could fix it for him. I fixed it the first night and rode it for 13 days!

I see these around every so often for sale, but I don't think I could slip it past the wife, what with 4 other pieces of rolling stock in the shop.

Gary Brady Austin, TX

Reply to
Gary Brady

This is just what we need, some guy from a metalworking NG posting about value judgements to be made concerning riding a motorcycle. Yes the orginal post had some interest in both groups, but as things will, it's now morphed into something quite different. Now we've got somebody talking about his f**king llamas...

Talk about this all you want in RCM, but please don't crosspost into a dirt bike NG. If you don't know how to do this, you really shouldn't be posting at all.

How about a bunch of dirt bikers invade your NG, asking/making dumbass questions and/or statements like, "Aren't you afraid of getting shocked when you weld with electricity?" "You can't weld with O/A." "Can I jack my baby MIG up to 220v to weld 16 gauge copper sheet to

1/2" stainless plate, and what rod would I use?" "I want to weld plastic, do I need a TIG, MIG or a PIG?" "How does a plasma cutter use blood plasma to cut metal?"

I'm not saying I am one of them, but some folks from RMD have been known to spend quite a bit of time and effort dicking with people's heads in newsgroups that have no relationship whatsoever to dirt bikes.

DJ

Reply to
IdaSpode

You forgot doing laundry.

Tami-

Reply to
WoodsChick

You are wrong, Ignoramus.

Motorcycles are vulnerable. Car drivers are dangerous.

luck"!

No, he needs to learn how to ride it and use common sense and wear protective gear. And he needs to stay alert for asshole car drivers that have their heads up their asses.

Motorcyclists make their own luck, for the most part. Ask me how I know.

Tami-

Reply to
WoodsChick

Each can kill you, either fast or slow....

Gunner

Gunner