English bike lovers...help!

http://picasaweb.google.com/gunnerasch/Enfield
I swapped for this in 1971, and two weeks later..went off to war.
I finally got it out to California this week and am trying identify what
exactly it is.. I think its a Royal Enfield Meteor...but...???
The title I got, 37 yrs ago says its a 1961 Indian.....
Anyone got any ideas? Ive already posted the link and a request to the Royal Enfield groups..no answers as of yet.
Anyone?
Gunner

Gunner. I don't know what it is but it sure looks british to me. I grew up riding Triumph Bonnevilles. Indians were technically before my time and I know nothing about 'em. But weren't they sorta the granddaddy of the Harley? I cannot see this machine being on the same family tree with anything 'murcan. Vernon

That's a Royal Enfield. It probably is one of the "Indians" that Floyd Clymer marketed when he acquired the name. They were really 700 cc Royal Enfields. Look under the paint -- I think all of the Royal Enfield/Clymer Indians were painted red.
I think that's just about the time Clymer was calling them "Indians." They were still English made then.
Here's a Royal Enfield Interceptor from a year or two later. Note the transmission cover and the fins at the top of the cylinder head.
-- Ed Huntress

Gunner. If that's what it is and you get it going you're in for a thrill. Twist that throttle and it'll run like a scalded dog chasing a bitch in heat. It's really too much bike for an old guy like you. Sell it to me. har har. V

Might be one of these - http://tinyurl.com/5rveyv
--

Dan

CNC Videos - <http://tinyurl.com/yzdt6d

Yeah, that's probably it.
-- Ed Huntress

Floyd
Look closely at the top of the front fender and you can see where the "Indian Head" light had been removed.
Ed Huntress wrote:

Beat me to the punch. Didn't know Clymer imported them though. I had a parts manual for one years ago. Sorry Gunner, it's long since gone...
Jon

I don't know if it was Clymer in charge, or if he was just part of the company. I read about it years ago and I forget the details. His name was the memorable part of it to me.
My dad pointed out to me, when I was first getting interested in motorcycles, that they weren't "real" Indians, when I showed him an ad for them in a magazine. He had one of those inline 4-cyl. *real* Indians right after WWII, which he bought used at auction from the NJ State Police.
I'd rather have a Royal Enfield, anyway. With a cool name like that, I'd paint it in big gold script on a black tank. d8-)
-- Ed Huntress

When I wanted to buy one of those (650?), the bank gave me a 200 cc Honda. My favorite was a Suzuki GS-750 (maybe one of Suzuki's early motorcycles), it was awesome. My worst was probably a Honda CX-500 (or something like that, bought used).

I had a CX-500 after I wore out my second Triumph. It never did thrill me at all. But it never let me down. Until it let me down. I drove it coast to coast a couple of times. One day it blew a head gasket. I never fixed it. After Triumphs the thrill was gone. And I could never get it back. I even bought a huge Honda V-4 monster. It would do 143mph. But nothing thrilled me like the british bikes. Finally I hung up my spurs while I still had a brain sitting in my skull.
Vernon wrote:

Yup, my name's jim and I rode a CX-500.
A year and half commuting in SF bay traffic. Never let me down, never dropped, only scared me sh!tless once or twice. About the only vehicle I've ever owned that had zero dangerous or annoying quirks.
Gunner wrote:

I had several Triumphs, I see "Triumph family" parts like that clevis on the rear brake. Not sure if it is an Enfield, probably is, but I will bet you got to have Whitworth wrenches to work on it. Michael
--

Michael Gailey
Artistic CNC Mill, Router and Engraver Programming

Gunner. Could it be an old Norton of some kind? The only british names I'm familiar with are BSA, Norton, Royal Enfield & Triumph. God they stirred the heart and soul. V

Try looking up info on the Vincent bikes, especially their Black Shadow. <G>

In my day (1960s) the Vincent Black Shadows were the stuff of legend and myth. Stories abounded. But I never saw one "in the flesh". V

I had a friend that had two back in the 60's. He would every summer ride one to Canada from Dallas Texas, he told me it was like riding a dream. I have had over the years HD's,Norton, AJS's, Indian warrior, BSA's. After 20 years with no bikes I just bought these this month.
http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii305/dobedave/Harley/?action=view&current=DVC01005.jpg
Vernon wrote:

There's one just down the street from me. Met the fellow after chatting with his wife at one of my yard sales. Upon learning I was into bikes, she invited me to come chat with him about his Vincent Black Shadow. I'll never forget her cheerfully saying "and he'll probably let you ride it!"
Yeah, right, turn a total stranger of unknown ability loose on a $150k motorcycle... But I did meet him and he's a right cheerful fellow. I was careful to drool only on the floor, not the bike.
Jon

In my day (1960s) the Vincent Black Shadows were the stuff of legend and myth. Stories abounded. But I never saw one "in the flesh". V
Simple, the last Indian brand motorcycles were re-badged Royal Enfields.
Steve R. ( One time motorcycle mechanic/salesman/partsman)
--
Reply address munged to bugger up spammers

There was a club of Black Shadow owners somewhere around Philadelphia in the mid-60s. They would ride through Bucks County, PA on weekends every once in a while, and they stopped at the little artsy town of New Hope. I'd see three or four of them at a time parked in town.
-- Ed Huntress