In-house visit by a "Rainbow vacuum" salesperson

You say that like its a bad thing?

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner

Stranglers tie collection with a name tag attached to each one....

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner

Wow, you *are* deluded!

No, it just shows that people who are deluded enough to go door-to-door promoting their particular brand of fantasy don't have a clue.

It's an

"Hi! We're a bunch of nuts! Please join our club! We believe in magical beings! Do you want to believe in a magical being too?"

Uh, no thanks.

I suppose next you'll want to

Heck no. I LOVE thin mints.

- Rich

-- Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Reply to
user

This is actually quite true, and not just for those new to the neighborhood, but for the homebound and the elderly.

Shrug..but it is irritating to get a knock on the door on Saturday afternoon while Im knocking off a piece of ass, or enjoying a good book and a dump, sitting on the toilet..only to find a Watchtower being waved in my face.

They are generally pleasant though and go away when asked.

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner

"Hi. I'm John. This is Mary. Would you like to come and kiss Hank's ass with us?" :-)

I do too.

I remember hearing that Boy Scouts are a cult now, but Girl Scouts are OK.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

The ones that p*ss me off are the ones that start out "I am not soliciting" then argue when I order them to leave my property, then threaten to charge me with assault when I gently assist them in doing so. Last municipal election, one candidate approached the door, noticed the sign and the fact that I happened to be standing just inside, said "I guess I'm soliciting, may I leave my brochure in the mailbox?" Unfortunately, my vote didn't get him elected. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Peepholes are a great help. Unless it is a face I know or a uniform, the door usually doesn't get opened. Fer damn sure it doesn't get opened for shiny young faces, white shirts, and ties. They go away eventually.

aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

Of course. You don't have to open the door if you don't want to.

I should add that the mainstream Christian churches with which I am acquainted (Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran, etc.) normally only visit people who have contacted them to request information. Very rarely (at intervals of several years), they take surveys of the immediate area of the church, to learn about the neighborhood, but that is not the normal form of visiting.

Reply to
mc

My whole life is a spiritual vacuum.

(not really, but couldn't resist.)

Reply to
mm

If I only knew when they were coming, I could get my girlfriend to do that, if I had a girlfriend who would do that (if I had a girlfriend)/

Reply to
mm

Its cool when you see the crew park down at one end of the street and start making the rounds up one side and down the other. Pretty hard to miss em..the well dressed people carring bibles and literature.

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

uld that work with evangelists?

Or just do your best impression of Rik Ocasik [sp?] from the Cars in the John Waters flick, uh,uh why is the name escaping me.....

Reply to
yourname

...............Hairspray, that's it

Reply to
yourname

They came to my house one time with the offer of a free carpet shampoo to demonstrate. They did not clean the carpet and would not leave. I had to threaten a call to the police to get them to go.

Reply to
USA1st

I'm not all that creative, just blessed with memory for "funny" stories.

tschus pyotr

-- pyotr filipivich "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est. " Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 45 AD (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

It's a pain. And then you get lazy. And then the thing sits for a week and starts to mold. And then it stinks and you *really* don't want to take it out 'cause it smells like a cesspool. And then your mom yells at you and you take it out.

Grew up with one. Mom got conned. They're no better than anything else. Just cost 10 times as much.

***

We had a guy come by the house last year. Hit the wife up. I basically kept hinting that it was time to leave. He ended up spending over 2 hours on his demonstration and we turned him down on buying it. (Hey, we asked him to leave before he even started, but he *insisted*)

And then he insulted us. And then he was rude: "If you live *here* (we have the nicest house on the street, and quite likely for miles around) -- if you live *here* in a house like this, then *obviously* you can afford a lousy 2 grand for a vacuum."

I told him to go to hell. "It's exactly *because* we don't spend our money on stupid shit like you're hawking that we can afford to live in a little nicer house"

He still wouldn't leave. So ... I got out my cleaning kit, and walked over to my gunsafe. Pulled out my

12 guage like I was gonna start cleaning it and the bastard nearly crapped his pants as he was running for the door.

I hate these salesfolks and can't honestly believe there are enough suckers out there to spend 2 grand per to keep 'em in business ... but then again, I grew up in a house with one so I guess Mom got suckered too.

Reply to
Sgt.Sausage

The sign adjacent to our front door:

Solicitors Welcome Tuesdays 7:00 PM

Dungeon Tours Tuesdays 7:15 PM

Human Sacrifices Tuesdays 7:30 PM

Haven't been bothered in years

Carla From whence, then, could arise the solitary and strange conceit that the Almighty, who had millions of worlds equally dependant on His protection, should quit the care of all the rest, and come to die in our world, because, they say, one man and one woman had eaten an apple? - Thomas Paine

Reply to
Carla Fong

thestuccocompany.com had written this in response to

:

This is ma' SIG

------------------------------------- Ignoramus32056 wrote:

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

- messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
thestuccocompany.com

:

i bought one yrs ago back before hepa filters were common. loved the lack of "vac scent". when we had to replace the carpet, there was no dirt on or under the pad. that doesn't happen with a regular vac. one of the minuses is that you have to empty the container. if you have too much dirt, which is most likely when you begin using a rainbow, you'll get mud, so be sure to empty frequently if you're a new user. if you have pet hair, you need to know if it's safe to flush down your toilet, else you'll have to dump the container elsewhere. i also was able to use it as a carpet cleaner since there was a carpet cleaning attachment. at this time, i prefer an upright, but it's still in my basement awaiting the next time i have need of a carpet cleaner (which may be never again).

Reply to
AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Had one particularly persistant sales guy tell me that one could vaccuum the cat, to reduce pet dander.

I said I'd like to see that.

He held the cat. For a while.

When we got the blood flow stopped, and he'd had a smoke (outside) he agreed that it probably would not work so well.

Told him on the way in the door that we were not buyers. He did his whole spiel anyways, including the cat.

Entertainment like that, you just cannot buy! :-)

Cheers Trev

Reply to
Trevor Jones