Index 645 mill - spindle won't reverse

My index 645 has the stock 3 phase motor on it and runs off of 240V single phase with a non-rotary convertor. It always worked fine but now it the spindle will no longer reverse. I know how to be safe when troubleshooting electrical. Can anyone give some hints on what to look for? Any common failures for this type of setup?

Reply to
asdfasdf

You've lost a winding or an input phase is missing.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

What do you mean by "non-rotary converter"? I can think of two types (since the presence of some form of converter implies a three-phase motor) :

1) The so-called "static" converters, which simply include a capacitor and relay to start the motor spinning, after which it just runs off the single phase. (You lose a bit of torque/HP that way, but it works most of the time). 2) A VFD (Variable Frequency Drive) -- an electronic box which takes the single phase and generates three phase from it.

Would it reverse at speed, or did you have to stop it before you could reverse it? If so, it sounds like you have a static converter, not a VFD.

Anyway -- are there relays involved in the reversing (either controlled by pushbuttons or rotary switches), or just a direct connection to a "drum switch"?

A VFD really does the reversing by itself with a small switch input, but it might be wired with the heavy pushbuttons or a drum switch to give the commands.

If the static converter Look for a wire which feeds to one of the phases of the motor which is not being connected in the reverse position. This could be loose screws (from vibration over the years) or oxidized contacts on the relays which switch the power to the motor.

If a VFD -- look for a wire from the switch to the VFD to give the "reverse" command which has broken or come unconnected.

Well ... I've tried to cover both likely setups, since I don't know what your machine has -- nor whether it was standard with the Index machine, or an add-on.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Are you saying that the motor starts in forward, but not in reverse?

Does it hum but not start in reverse?

Ignoramus9407

I don't hear a hum. Just seems totally dead.

Reply to
asdfasdf

Mine would be static based on your description. Thanks for the detailed information!!!

Reply to
asdfasdf