Indexing head and boring head

I brought home a cincinnati indexing (dividing) head. There was some other milling related stuff in the lot, such as a boring head. That boring head, to my surprise, fit the opening of the indexing head. I never thought that dividing heads were ever sypposed to hold a boring head, I thought that they were for chucks, no?

here's the indexing head

Ignoramus12805

Very nice dividing head. Just because the boring head's shank matches a taper in the dividing head doesn't mean it's intended to operate that way. They may just have the same taper such as MT or R8 the same as the mills spindle. You could mount the boring head in the mills spindle, or a collet, or you could mount a collet in the dividing head. What taper is it?

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

I have never seen such a taper before, size-wise it may be similar to MT6.

Ignoramus12805

from the photo, I'd speculate that it's an NMTB taper, probably 40 or 50 - if you look up the dimensions of those tapers you will be able to tell quickly

">

Reply to
William Noble

I suggest buying a mill, work and learn how to use it before trying to sell your goods and having not even the _slightest_ concept of standardized tapers.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Also could be a Brown & Sharpe. Many of the older dividing heads have this taper. Looks similar to at Morse taper.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

Based on the picture..with the driving dogs in the taper..its likely to be a 30, a 40 or a 50 taper. Unable to determine which because I have no size reference available in your photo.

This must be a pretty good sized head and as such, such a taper would make much sense when used with a horizontal miller for example for cutting splines and gears. No chance of it slipping, and would likely use the same tooling as the miller it was mounted on.

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner