Induction kWh meter theory

Hell, if they catch you, expensive won't be the end of it. Lawyers fees, bail bondsmen, etc. That's called Theft Of Energy, and they almost always prosecute.

You might end up spending some quality time - 6 months to a few years - at The Graybar Hotel. You check out when THEY say you can.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

There was an apocryphal story going around at one time, about a guy who lived near a high line. He found that he could put a resonant antenna up and extract a fair bit of power from the nearby lines.

They did, and he lost.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Yep Bob I was cleaning up the shelves for more books and ran across : 'my copy' "Load Management Study of Irrigation Consumers - Farmers Electric Cooperative Corp. Newport, Arkansas Dated Jan 1979." An Engineering Report by Allen & Hoshall of Memphis.

Remember this one - I think we were running 173MHz and had to 'swap or beg' frequency tones from another company in the area as the pine trees - the needles absorbed... So 403 ? we came. Seem to want to use those numbers and reason. I think you determined the issue and worked the transmitter problems.

Jean Seweat was the Manager at Farmers Electric at the time - The blue print copies of graphs are still good but the edges are turning...

We did a lot of good for people and enjoyed a lot of visits across the south and out to Sackoftomatoes as well!

Actually the meters I was talking about - the new time of day by Sagmo has some of my code inside - binary to bcd conversion. It was a Schlumberger / Motorola site (Moto after a while) - and I was SLB Sr. Scientist in Test Equipment (1 $M and up type). I had machine language background (not assembly) real machine - and was contacted off my background list of abilities. So I worked some nights to develop code and guidelines so they could re-write and own the code.

Best regards, Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Robert Sw> Martin sez:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I heard that they don't prosecute if you steal energy while in jail, though (read Jeffrey Archer's prison diary).

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I'm pretty sure you're right Bob. I believe Thomas Edison used electrolytic meters on his DC power network.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Thanks for all the helpful responses to my question. Sorry it has taken me a while to get back to you all, but I've been away. The shape of the iron core makes good sense when you consider the forces resulting from an eddy current flowing within a magnetic field. I spent a couple of hours pondering the operation of the meter from different points of view until I was satisfied that I understood it thoroughly. When it came to the discussion with the students I spent most of the time talking about induction motors, and mentioned the watt-hour meter as a brief extension, describing its operation in terms of sweeping magnetic fields and braking magnets, which they seemed to cope with well. At the very least it should have given them an introduction to the real world uses of electromagnetic induction, which could be beneficial when it comes to university interviews.

Many thanks,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy