Induma Mills?

Hi All,

I have an old "INDUMA" over head mill being stored in my shop. My renter is about to give it to me since he's over 2 months behind in rent as of today. I have seen it working. It seemed Ok to me.

No electronic read outs, nothing fancy. Is it worth keeping? Can I get parts if needed? Anything to look out for?

Any ideas on what it's worth?

Randy Hansen SC Glass Tech. Scam Diego, Comi-fornia

Reply to
Randy H.

Horizontal mill?

Induma is/was good stuff. Good Made in Japan, hard working machines.

Gunner

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil? Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work. - L. Neil Smith

Reply to
Gunner

Made in Japan? try Italy..

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Made in Italy, I think. I've never run one personally, but I've heard machinists whose opinions I respect speak highly of them. As far as value goes, to paraphrase the real estate maxim, "Condition, condition, condition."

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Sigh..you are absolutely correct. I was thinking Okuma.

it was early, or late

Gunner

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil? Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work. - L. Neil Smith

Reply to
Gunner

Randy,

The rack/pinion on the quill is a weak point. I bought one at auction some years ago, then found replacement quills were not to be found. In fact, found a machinery dealer in Texas that had several with broken teeth in the rack. I was going to CNC it so didn't care. Until I learned that ballscrews for non-Bridgeport clone mills were expensive enough to make it not worth the effort. I was lucky, was able to hone the head slightly and adapt a Bridgeport quill. I frankly don't recall if the pinion was pressed onto it's shaft or if I machined it off. Shaft is tough, used up a keyseat cutter cutting the new keyseat. Though different pitches, amazingly, the Bridgeport pinion on the Induma shaft, came to the exact same quill/shaft distance as the original! The mill has been giving good service to a friend for 5 years now. In some respects, I like it more than a BP.

If the quill rack/pinion is in good shape, the leadscrews don't have excessive backlash, and you want it, take it!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson