Inneresting Baldor Motor

Awl --
Did Baldor munge a 5 hp 3 ph into a big-assed 5 hp *single phase*?? Nice motor, of course.
But with *3* large oil-filled caps, like what you would find on an rpc.
AND it's reversible!
Which leads me to believe it is actually a 3 ph. motor, with starting caps.
Four wires are in the junction box, two thick, two thin, with a thick/thin tied together. I think you reverse the motor by exchanging the two thick wires, just as on a 3ph, and apropos of reversing a statically converted motor, as in the rpc ganging thread.
A likely scenario???
Too bad they didn't bring out more wires, so's you could have the option of using it as an unencumbered 3 ph motor.
Funny thing: three wires are coming from the caps to the motor. Poss. distributed across L1-L3 *and* L2-L3?? I don't think one wire is a ground, didn't ring anything out yet.
--
DT

Uncle had a monster 1 ph 5hp motor from an aircompressor. TEFC, capacitor bank, voltage level contactor for playing with the caps. It was running his babit bearing monster table saw until things got flaky.
I tried to convince him that I could replace the voltage level contactor with a timer and all would be well but he decided to buy some pos 3 phase motor and make a rotophase.
I think I told the story of figuring out the unmarked connections of his scrap yard bring home.
Anyway, now he has a 10 hp idler, a 5 hp open frame motor driving the saw, he recouped part of his expense by selling the monster 1ph 5hp to the scrap yard. Btw, the 1 phase was much heavier.
Your idea is plausible if the thin wires are only bring in the caps.
Sure wish I could have got uncle to go with a timing relay, the only one I had, I gave to my brother which currently does a delay off on the exhaust fan in each of the crappers.