Buffalo drill press motor

I have been the recipient of an old Buffalo drill press. The motor is burned up and needs to be replaced. Any suggestions on a good source for a replace motor?

Reply to
purphektdeletethis

"purphekt snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" wrote in message news:jtydnX-8pbLfN47bnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Bull Gear, Inc. Available in a calf-horse size. Or try Bison Chuck Co.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

My suggestion would be to post complete nameplate information off the motor's nameplate.

Ignoramus32238

Harbor freight? Or how about an old washing machine or dryer. Flea market. Surplus sales:

Reply to
Ron Thompson

Nice drill. Ive got 2 of them. Want another?

Surplus motors are relatively cheap, if you scrounge. Check recyclers, etc. The problem is either finding one with the right frame and shaft diameter or making adapters for both.

Gunner

Fred Thompson and Condi Rice in '08!!!

Reply to
Gunner

A drill press is an ideal use of a 3 ph motor and VFD. Being able to instantly dial-in the speed is *really* convenient. Don't go lower than

1 hp because you'll still have sufficient power at lower speeds. Assuming that your drill press is not some monster that could use even more power. Here's a 1 hp motor for $40:
you should be able to get a 1hp VFD for about $100.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote: Bull Gear, Inc. Available in a calf-horse size. Or try Bison Chuck Co. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Do they also make a turd horse?

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

"purphekt snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" wrote in message news:jtydnX-8pbLfN47bnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Contact me off-list. I might have an OEM motor.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

One of my Buffalos sports a 3ph 240vt "repulsion-attraction" motor. 3 speeds forward, 3 speeds in reverse

The spindle nose is threaded 1 1/16-14

Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

The one I have is off a bench top drill press. A Sunlight (not Sunbeam)- it's a real weirdo. It's mounted to the headstock by a yoke- the motor is bolted to the yoke on the circumference. Looks like it was built pre-war.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

Both of mine are semi bench tops..assuming your bench top can support about 350 lbs. Neither are floor models, yet have a huge working envelope.