Blacksmithing Vise Repair

I have a blacksmithing vise that is in need of repair. The screw box is loose in the hole in the post. I don't quite know how to go about repairing it. Should I try to make a sleeve or should I try to build up the hole in the post with welding rod? Or is there a better way? It has

5 1/2 inch jaws. The post is 41 inches long to the top of the jaws.

The screw box looks to be in good shape. I could post pictures if it would help. But it is just like the one toward the bottom of the page, all apart, where it says parts, on this site.

Don

Reply to
Don Murray

On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 15:00:56 -0700, the infamous Don Murray scrawled the following:

I'd probably try to build up the hole in the post. You might even be able to find a rotary grinding cone to fit which would ease the mating ritual at the end. ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

If you look at the gometry of the opening of a leg vice, its not a parrallel action like an engineers bench vice. there has to be clearance? of looseness wether in the screw box or the screw, where they go throgh the 2 vice arms. If they were a tight fit, they wouldnt open!!. Itsnormal forthe play or clearance to be in the screw hole in the hinged `jaw. However if it works ok, dont mess with it, nor build itup with weld. these vices other than the`very latest made are wrought iron not steel, which doesnt arc weld well. If theres a lot of play use some sheet iron to act as a `sleeve. If theres a chance of further info as to the amount of loosness? do let us `know. Ted Frater Leg vice collector amongst other things! Dorset UK.

Reply to
Ted Frater

I vote for sleeving it rather than welding on the theory that some day it may become a valuable antique.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins