Blacksmithing Vise Repair

I have a blacksmithing vise that is in need of repair. The screw box is loose in the hole in the post. I don't quite know how to go about
repairing it. Should I try to make a sleeve or should I try to build up the hole in the post with welding rod? Or is there a better way? It has 5 1/2 inch jaws. The post is 41 inches long to the top of the jaws.
The screw box looks to be in good shape. I could post pictures if it would help. But it is just like the one toward the bottom of the page, all apart, where it says parts, on this site.
http://www.anvilfire.com/FAQs/vises.htm
Don
On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 15:00:56 -0700, the infamous Don Murray

I'd probably try to build up the hole in the post. You might even be able to find a rotary grinding cone to fit which would ease the mating ritual at the end. ;)
--
"Given the low level of competence among politicians,
every American should become a Libertarian."
Don Murray wrote:

If you look at the gometry of the opening of a leg vice, its not a parrallel action like an engineers bench vice. there has to be clearance? of looseness wether in the screw box or the screw, where they go throgh the 2 vice arms. If they were a tight fit, they wouldnt open!!. Itsnormal forthe play or clearance to be in the screw hole in the hinged `jaw. However if it works ok, dont mess with it, nor build itup with weld. these vices other than the`very latest made are wrought iron not steel, which doesnt arc weld well. If theres a lot of play use some sheet iron to act as a `sleeve. If theres a chance of further info as to the amount of loosness? do let us `know. Ted Frater Leg vice collector amongst other things! Dorset UK.

I vote for sleeving it rather than welding on the theory that some day it may become a valuable antique.