Interesting lathe configuration

Tailstock goes before carriage.

Ignoramus24584

Kinda looks like it was being used for a non-lathe turning application, vs. being assembled by someone clueless.

Reply to
Pete C.

That's just because that's the way they put it together (for the photo, probably). I can do the same with my South Bend -- not that there's much reason to, that I can think of. If you're lapping a very long part, it could be useful.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I agree with Ed - So many lathes were sold without tail stocks because they were in a box and forgotten...

Doing only face work or such. Then there are several other ideas.

  1. If hand polishing a spindle - one doesn't want the carriage where the hand / arm could be caught.... Maybe a machine snugged up - a grinder...

  1. Was a bearing being snugged into something the last time - and the carriage pushed the snugged but not tight tail stock towards the head.

Expect there are a number of other reasons as well.

Mart> Tailstock goes before carriage.

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I've seen them set up that way for shipping.

David

Reply to
David R.Birch

notice the $175 "optional loading fee" - that is amazing - I've never seen it higher than $20 -

Reply to
Bill Noble