interference fit basic question

i am adapting a lathe chuck 3 " to a jewlers lathe ( Lorche)--read working on small parts

i want to fit the lathe part ( essentaly a long bolt) with aflange and a 20mm extension--i ddo not want to machine anything on this item

my plans are to create a bushing out of steel--screw it into the lathe chuck and drill a hole for the lathe bolt to press fit into the bushing

diameter of the lathe bolt is 10mm

what size hole should I drill for a interference fit--looked on the web--saw all sorts of formulas to do this but i need just a ball aprk figure--i am planning of using a carbide bit to do it--( i understand that the finish of the hole would be clean and polished using this carbide bit) i do not have access to boreing bars or a reamer

any suggestion really appreciate

tia

peter

Reply to
ilaboo

The Machinery's Handbook is the Bible of machinists everywhere. The book costs about $150, but it should be available at a large civic or educational library; you'll only need one table. It has the exact specifications for all types of interference, press, and running fits for various size shafts. If you can't get access to the book, let me know and I'll look it up for you.

Reply to
woodworker88

There are different classes of interference fits, and to complicate things even more the size will depend on the type of material and its thickness. Even if you know the exact size needed, though, finding a drill bit of that size - and then getting it to cut a hole to exactly that size - will be next to impossible. A reamer is your best bet.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

You had better farm this job out to someone else. Drilling the hole is not the way to go. Anything you could do without precision machinery is apt to destroy the accuracy of a jeweler's lathe setup.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

On 20 Oct 2005 22:22:51 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "woodworker88" quickly quoth:

I found an older copy for $4, saving about $146. YMMV Let "the boss" buy new copies if they're needed.

  • OPERA: A Latin word * Wondrous Website Design
  • meaning * Save your Heirloom Photos
  • "death by music" *
Larry Jaques