Iron Bedstead

The project is an iron bedstead; tube posts and 5/16" (guess) rod ornamental field. At each rod intersection and where the rods attach to the posts, there is a figurine cast to join the pieces. Anyone know how this casting is accomplished? I don't need to repair any of these, just curious.

Second: the casters. Replacement wood casters are readily available. I'm having trouble finding the caster sockets that fit into the tube posts. Sources?

This particular piece came by covered wagon from Gibson county Indiana to Texas in 1888. They were maufactured from 1880 to 1920.

Reply to
aasberry

They were cast in place. The mold is made with a pattern board with a groove for the rods. The rods are placed in the open mold, the mold is closed around them. Then they pour the iron around the ends of the rods.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

When I inherited a wooden swivel chair, it was missing one socket for the casters. That caster was mounted in place by wrapping the stem with masking tape, which, needless to say proved somewhat inadequate. After much searching, I concluded that short of buying a piece of furniture with similar casters in order to scavenge the required part, the only way I was going to come up with the item was to make one so I took a piece of steel stock (read "scrap") and turned the required outer shape and drilled the hole through it. It is still working nicely after 15 years.

Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Gerald Miller wrote: ...

Oh, "scrap" makes it sound like trash. Wasn't it a "cutoff?" ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

There are some restoration hardware outfits out there that may have what you need, for a price. You'll probably need to redo all 4 corners, the odds of finding just one exactly like the other three are pretty small. Otherwise, there's always the lathe option...

If you're actually going to use the piece, though, you might reconsider using wood casters, particularly if you've got finished wood floors. I've seen too many floors gouged up by those dinky original casters. Grit seems to be attracted like a magnet.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

When it's a four inch long piece of one inch re bar, it's pretty much scrap. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller