Is it me?

I see lots of ads on TV for cordless drills. In almost every case, they are chucked up to a simple #2 Phillips bit. Why is that? Don't they know about all the quick change extensions? I have used just a bit in a pinch, but many times, the chuck runs into the wood or something else. Plus there is no slider to hold the screws until they get started. Do you use an extension or not? I almost always do.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I use an impact driver which has a 1/4" hex quick change chuck. If I need a long reach I typically use a long bit.

Reply to
Pete C.

i normally use a slider. Didn't two days ago. Pushed hard and drill slipped off and drive a hole in my thumb. Blood leaks all over when you do that.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I have a couple of different types of quick couplers but rarely use them because they aren't completely reliable and can drop the bit into the bushes below the ladder, and I don't yet have a set of GOOD drill bits with grooved hex shanks. I probably drill a lot more home-made steel and stainless fittings than the average hardware store customer. Industrial-quality bits are as easy to lose in the leaves as cheap ones.

My Makita's most recent job was holes for 1/2" lag screws 200' from the nearest electric outlet.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 11:04:07 -0500, the infamous "Pete C." scrawled the following:

Ditto here, either a long bit or hex extension.

has

2, 3, and 6" square bits for a couple bucks apiece. I buy from them when they have their free shipping sales.
2" is my most used, but in tight spaces, the 6" works wonders.

I also bought a 1/4" hex drive 3/8" keyed drill chuck for use with the impact. The Impactor ate my $1.50 HF keyless chuck in about 30 seconds.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 11:06:26 -0500, the infamous "Karl Townsend" scrawled the following:

"I have absolutely no idea of what you're talking about, Karl" as he hid his scarred hand.

The trick is to whap the back of the driver to sink the screw tip, then start turning it. You don't need to hold the screw after that so it's much safer.

P.S: Phillips tips make good skin drills, don't they?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 09:30:38 -0700 (PDT), the infamous Jim Wilkins scrawled the following:

Put down a tarp before you put up the ladder, Jim. And/or carry a magnet on a stick which will help you find lost hardware and bits. I keep a welding triangle in the truck with a coat hanger tied to it.

Yeah, cordless drivers are an absolute necessity in most construction areas. But I think he meant "hex extension bit holders" there, big fella. ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yes, just like in the socket wrench world there are separate impact rated extensions, the ordinary hex extensions that work fine on drill-drivers are destroyed by impact drivers.

Reply to
Pete C.

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 13:35:06 -0500, the infamous "Pete C." scrawled the following:

I'm on my 2rd 1/4hex x 1/4square adaptor, but the newest one is U.S. made and is lasting better. I had a couple good HF adaptors (plus the first bad one) but I lost them. The only 1/4hex x 3/8square adaptor I've tried (from HF, used for driving 6"-8" x 1/2" lags into beams) has held up well, too.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Because TV ads are generally created/approved by liberal arts graduates who can only think in terms of what "looks good" to them. The douchebags who did the ad you're referring to probably don't know which end of a screwdriver is the handle much less anything about quick change adapters. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Pozidriv and Robertson screws don't tend to fall off their respective bits :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

"Steve B" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.infowest.com:

They show what they're selling.

If they showed other "goodies" then their customers would expect to see them in the box when it arrives and, when the "goodies" were found to be missing, demand a full refund + legal expenses.

After all, Steve, we're talking about a customer base that truly believes that you can get a top-of-the-line battery-powered industrial tool for $19.95 + S&H! ("Order in the next 10 minutes and we'll send you a second tool absolutely FREE!" sez the 3:00 AM Infomercial.)

Reply to
RAM³

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 13:01:54 -0700, the infamous "Artemus" scrawled the following:

Remember the Crapsman ad for their new vicegrip product? they showed some absolute bozo shearing metal off the nut on a bicycle axle with the pliers on backwards. It only showed a few times before it was removed, but I was on the floor laughing from it every time I saw it, thinking how well it fit the current crap Searz is foisting on the public.

I haven't had to watch anything the lib arts grads put together for 3 years now, and I'm very happy with my choice to stop watching broadcast TV.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 21:18:16 +0100, the infamous Mark Rand scrawled the following:

True, but getting a screw started often can be quite tough.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Didn't you hear? You can go to Kmart to be ripped off with Crapsman.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

slider extension Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

RAM sez: "After all, Steve, we're talking about a customer base that truly believes that you can get a top-of-the-line battery-powered industrial tool for $19.95 + S&H! ("Order in the next 10 minutes and we'll send you a second tool absolutely FREE!" sez the 3:00 AM Infomercial.)"

Good observation re. the mentality of those victims of advertising who only appreciate "cheap".

Bob Swinney

They show what they're selling.

If they showed other "goodies" then their customers would expect to see them in the box when it arrives and, when the "goodies" were found to be missing, demand a full refund + legal expenses.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

"Robert Swinney" wrote in news:_vSdnX2fDcphmFrWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

The late-night infomercials are far more humorous than the sitcoms...

OTOH, I've been told that I have an "unusual" sense of humor...

Reply to
RAM³

Yesterday, I was helping uncle put some sheets of drywall up on a ceiling and he had Robertson drywall screws. I've never seen drywall screws with square (Robertson) drive before.

Wes

Wes

You obvoiusly aren't on Mc Feeleys mailing list. Check them out for almost any sort of screw you would ever want. ...Lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick