Is this idea crazy?

Ammo mfgrs in the USA alone are making 4.2 billion rounds a year. CCI makes 4 million rounds per day.

Where the hell are they all going, ferchrissake? Preppers couldn't buy up that many every day for years on end, as it has been going, especially at 3-5x the normal price. This is just nuts.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I was thinking the same thing. Something like this Browning Leverage:

It's kind of rough around the edges but from reading the reviews it is quite nice after a little elbow grease and know-how here and there. It would give Eric something to tinker with right out of the box ;-)

I hear sales have increased for pellet guns after the ammo shortage...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Before I started modifying my rifle, hand making brass and reloading 22 cb caps, I would try gluing a piece of #f buckshot on the end of a gray 22cal ramset load.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Funny how nobody has figured out "detonation" or has been able to reproduce it under controlled conditions. I use fast powders for most all my handgun loads. I just bought 3 new powders so I can explore magnum loads.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I win on this one, I still have 10 bricks that I got on sale for $15 each. But, it's still cheaper to shoot centerfire for me. Primer=2 cents, cast bullet=nothing and powder is almost nothing. The only expense is time and I can easily load 300/hr. I've been going through

1k rounds/month again, mostly .38 DEWC.
Reply to
Tom Gardner

My S&W .22 Jet will fire either centerfire .22 Jet cartridges (.357 magnum necked down to .22) *or* .22 rimfire, either with a swap-out of cylinder or with adaptor sleeves in the standard .22 Jet cylinder. It does this with a pair of firing pins, and a switchable striker in the hammer, so no modification needed there.

The mods to a Ruger .22 target would be fairly simple, but you would want to set up a catcher for the brass so you *could* reload it before someone stepped on it.

Even a .22 LR would be very light by comparison with the .22 Jet, and would probably get something like 20 or more reloads. Consider just how lightweight the .22 rimfire cartridges are. The case comes back as a cylinder, bulges out and folds back in to make the back, providing a crushable space for the rimfire primer compound to lurk in and be triggered by the firing pin.

Far more durable than a .22 rimfire case, I would expect.

Consider that while the OD of the primer is 0.175", the case needs to reduce the through hole diameter to something quite a bit smaller to support the anvil built into the primer.

The thickness of the base required to properly support the primer should make something a lot stronger than the .22 rimfire case, so I would not worry -- even with smokeless up to a full .22 LR load, and you are going to be a lot milder.

An interesting project.

Normal cartridges (except for the rimfire ones) are normally made by cutting out a disc of brass, then deep drawing the walls while the base is clamped in position until you get a cylindrical shape, then the normal sizing operations for tapered cases. And the rim is turned as necessary, and the primer pocket swaged (harder than if machined from the brass. There are certainly a number of annealing steps during the forming, of course. But for the strength loads you are planning, machined cases will certainly be strong enough.

Shoot enough, and you will want an automatic screw machine to produce them. :-)

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Interesting. Looks as though it has mold cavities for both the standard .22 LR bullet and the smaller "CB" bullets, so it might be a good choice for the original poster.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Has anyone actually tried nail gun cartridges in a rifle?

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I bought 500 all new Starline brass for my .41. I did a Wolfe spring kit and it's exactly like my 29. I have yet to really explore the 57. I'm looking for a 28 6" Nickle preferred, for

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Cool! I like those features too, shows craftsmanship. I like those N-frames. What's the best way to handle it, I have an FFL guy here, I can fund you however you want.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Unique is like gold and I can't find any. I got 800-x, H110 and Ba9.

Look at the Nobel Sports powders, they sell in metric so a small bottle is 1.1 lbs. I have high hopes. I have some questions, I will e-mail.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

That's a LOT! (imho)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I'll gladly send you a finder's fee, too bad no brushes.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

And you wouldn't think that .22LR is the first choice for prepers. Wideners has what seems to be good prices...if you are unlucky enough to have to buy ammo.

Even I am thinking pellet gun, I wonder if I can cast my own pellets before they start selling for $0.10 ea.??? (Wait 'til they tax air!)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Now that AR mfgrs are making .22 barrels to make plinking cheaper on the AR platform, rich fuppies are stocking up, ah guess.

It's the assholes thinking they can trade individual .22 boolies for diamonds right after the Fall, methinks.

It's coming!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Greetings Terry, Sorry for the late reply. Router problems. I did look at the link, I watched the video abouit using matchheads, and decided it was all too much trouble. But I looked again after reading your message and did find the priming compound. It is only mentioned by clicking on the buy/checkout link. But I am really interested now. Thanks for pointing out to me the availability of the priming compound. Eric

Reply to
etpm

Greetings ED, Sorry about the long time for the reply. I have been having internet problems and the problem was finally solved about 15 minutes ago. Anyway, with the light loads I want to shoot I am not worried about a rifle that can handle .22 long rifles rounds having problems if a case I made fails. But maybe there are things I don't know about that could make the lightly loaded rounds dangerous. So if anyone knows why my proposed round might be dangerous in either a rifle or a revolver please let me know. I'm also curious about black powder being so messy. At the time my rolling block rifle was made I have been told by many shooters that .22 rounds were filled with black powder. In fact, a friend of mine has a .22 Stevens tip up pistol and he was warned by his local gunsmith/dealer to shoot only .22 subsonic or CB rounds because the pistol was made for black powder filled rounds. Surely these guns and rifles didn't cleaning after every shot, did they? Cheers, Eric

Reply to
etpm

I like shooting with CB shorts. I don't really care for air rifles. If it was a survival thing after everything goes to hell an air rifle would be a good choice. We have lots of squirrels and rabbits around here. But if everything goes to hell I'll probably not have any game af any sort to shoot at because everybody else will be trying to shoot the same game. Eric

Reply to
etpm

Greetings DoN, Who cares about the naysayers? I really wanna make some of my own centerfire rounds now. So I am going to try. Cheers, Eric

Reply to
etpm

The BP experts probably will chime in here. I've only shot BP in muzzleloaders; I don't know how it behaves in breechloaders, but it is a mess, in any case. It leaves a lot of fouling behind. It also leaves a LOT of sulfurous smoke. IIRC, you were thinking of shooting indoors. That's not a good idea with BP. At my old indoor range, shooting BP was limited to two days per week, and they turned the exhaust fans up to a full roar.

Regarding the safety of your proposed cartridge, again, you need to listen to the experts. Small loads of slow-burning smokeless powders actually can build up very high pressures. I don't know how small or how slow-burning. BP supposedly is self-limiting to around 12,000 psi, but that, too, is a subject for the experts.

Go with the airgun. d8-)

Reply to
Ed Huntress