Is wood stronger than metal per weight?

Cydrome Leader wrote in news:nnb3ap$7t5$ snipped-for-privacy@reader2.panix.com:

There are bicycles made of wood (the frame, at least). It doesn't lend itself to mass-production, so most bicycles will be metal or composite (e.g. carbon fiber).

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Because Fukushima hadn't happened yet?

Reply to
krw

Many decades ago, when Japanese cars were still a joke, Road & Track ran a spoof about a Japanese F1 car, with a frame made of bamboominum tubing...

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Technically, that would be botanically...

Reply to
dpb

Gunner Asch fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Gunner, we usually only call dicots 'wood'. 'Woody' monocots are not usually included in that genre. A weird exception might be palm trunks used as fence posts, but they're _barely_ 'woody', at their best.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote in news:XnsA654C73E78881lloydspmindspringcom@216.168.4.170:

I would not call bamboo products wood. I suspose I might refer to a quantity of bamboo intended for building something "lumber".

I just cut a dead palm down. I would not call that wood either. ("pain in the ass" is what I would call it...)

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Do you call particle board "lumber"? I suppose bamboo is closer to butcher block but I wouldn't call it "lumber", I don't think. The point being that it's made up of a bunch of small pieces (strips) glued together to make something of a useful size.

Reply to
krw

Gunner Asch fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Indeed, it is!

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Gunner Asch on Fri, 29 Jul 2016 20:04:13 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

I think the technical term is "Woody."

pyotr filipivich

Search for : coconut crab

They crush coconuts and eats the meat and drinks the 'milk'. I lived in the south pacific and these were all to common. The claw could crush an arm. They were good to eat but you had to know what you were doing and have help going up a tree after one.

Mart> >>

Reply to
Martin Eastburn