It's the solenoid

not blowing . The plug was inserted a quarter turn clockwise , corrected that but it was still blowing the fuse . So I started unplugging harness
connections starting at the firewall . Unplugging from the trans finally stopped that . Now the question uppermost in my mind is can the solenoid be replaced without pulling the trans ?
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Pretty sure you can get to it by dropping the pan. It's really messy though if the pan doesn't have a drain plug. Lots of wires just running around exposed in there too. Could be were the damage is. This website has a lot of info and pictures you may find useful:
http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/LockupTCCWiring.htm
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI
On 9/29/2019 10:13 AM, Leon Fisk wrote:

big of a deal because i also want to change the filter and do an oil change on this trans . And who knows , there might be a bare wire in there causing all the problems . But I'm going to order a new solenoid anyway . I figger as long as I'm under there I might as well go ahead and change the speedo drive to the mechanical and set it up for the new 3.42 gearset I have sittin' here . And since I noticed a little bit of oil spray on the underside of the truck , the tail shaft housing will get a new bushing and seal . No sense at all in doing it halfway then doing it over .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

What happens if you just leave it unplugged?
On 9/29/2019 11:06 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

powers the backup lights . I could care less about the lights , but this thing gets lousy enough mileage when it all works right .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

When I was fooling with my own years ago... it wasn't plugged in from the factory and didn't work for the first 3000 miles or so. I figured it out when I got the service manual and looked up what that loose cable connection was for :)
The mechanics I talked with thought it might run hotter unplugged. More heat generated with the torque converter slipping when the clutch isn't engaged. That tranny was quite a new design then, a lot more is known about them nowadays...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI