Keep aluminum thread from seizing?

I have a cast aluminum screw-in deckplate that was seized up solid. At least for the half dozen years I've had the boat, maybe for decades before. I removed the entire thing, brought it home, and after subjecting it to various forms of abuse managed to free it up so that I could unscrew it from the mounting ring.

My question now is "what do people prefer to keep aluminium threads from seizing?"

It may turn out that it now behaves fine, especially if I unscrew it from time to time, but I'm curious. I'm reluctant to use any kind of grease, since it will liquify and drip into the boat when it's at all hot out. Spray-on Teflon? Never Seize? Nothing 'cause it will be fine now that it's cleaned up?

I note also that it had no O-ring, and when it does there should be no longer be any need to tighten it down beyond the point of compression. It may be that this alone makes all the difference.

TIA

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey Feldman

Never Seize. I use it on aluminum parts that get pressed together but need to come apart later.

ff

Reply to
ff

Just a suggestion--how about teflon goop? (for plumbing)

Ken Grunke SW Wisconsin

Coulee Region Woodturners AAW chapter

Ken Grunke

Anti-seize.

sold in any hardware store.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

So use a thin film of the stuff? You've certainly used too much if it's

*dripping*!

Tim

Tim Williams

Never-Seez is good stuff. The best solution would be to have one or both parts hard-anodized -- and still use Never-Seez!

Reply to
Don Foreman

I use a silicone grease made by GE called Versalube. It useable over a wide temperature range, so I wouldn't worry about it getting hot and liquifying. Besides you just want to grease the threads. You shouldn't need enough that it could ever form a drop. You may be able to find it at a bike shop. People use it on bike chains with it applied very thin. Super stuff for aluminum.

The only other stuff that I know of that will work to lubricate aluminum is an oil from Houghton that contains iodine.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

The last time I came by silicone grease commercially was when I purchased a new belt for a maytag dishwasher, it came with a small amount of silicone grease of which I diligently apply an amount equal to a couple grains of rice every five years. It is also used in the application of connector kits for underground electrical, high voltage work. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller