Lathe DRO?

Here is something I should be able to figure out but can?t. I have a Sargon model 652 DRO now on my lathe. (It has no numeric key pad). How do I zero this thing so I can get a direct radius or diameter reading for a bar I would be turning?

The radius is off by a factor of 2 and the diameter is off by a factor of 4.

TIA

Jake in Escondido

Reply to
Jake in Escondido

Jake in Escondido

Sounds like the resolution might be wrong, I don't know how you would change it without a keypad. Got the operator's manual?

Reply to
John Kunkel

The manual for the unit will show some examples of the diplay appearance while changing the settings, but you might be able to select the correct settings by using the following steps (which are from notes I kept from the manual of the same unit). If I had a manual, I'd send you a copy. Maybe someone else can.

If you have compatible scales connected, you can probably come up with the correct settings by experimentation or trial & error.

- Turn Power on

- Push/hold A/I = one of the Setup screens wil be displayed

- Release A/I = unit is now in Setup Mode

- Press Rad/Dia to advance to the desired screen (field)

- Press Reset to change parameter setting

- Press Rad/Dia to advance to desired screen (field)

- Press Reset to change another setting

- Exit Setup Mode (saves selected setting(s), by pressing A/I

WB ...........

Reply to
Wild Bill

Thanks Wild Bill and John,

I downloaded the manual from their website. There is not a lot of information in it. The scales supposedly are the the ones that came with it from the factory.

I'll try your process and see what happens. I'll also ping their Customer Service.

Jake

Wild Bill wrote:

Reply to
Jake in Escondido

I finally conceded and called the factory. They were quite helpful. The problem had to do with my resolution setting. It should have been .0002 rather than .0005. I doubt that I would have figured that out on my own and it sure wasn't mentioned in the manual. Thanks to all that replied.

Jake

Jake > Thanks Wild Bill and John,

Reply to
Jake in Escondido

Good deal, glad it's reading correctly for ya. I didn't look over the entire online manual to what was included in it. I had a 652 unit and a manual, which I should now remember to copy any manual, to keep as a spare.

The settings for different scale resolutions for the 652 unit should be: .0005, .0002, .0001, .00005, and .00002"

I think one compatible scale example is the LGG 330-14 miniscale (5um/.0002").

5V TTL Quadrature

Scale compatibility includes the 100/105 Series 5V scales, and includes 100,

105, 110, 115, 130, 135 types with IM suffixes.

Reply to
Wild Bill

Had the same experience with my recently installed DRO, the manual gives great instructions on how to change the resolution but no mention under what circimstances it needs to be done.

Reply to
John Kunkel