Lathe Soft Jaws

Hi folks

I'm considering machining soft jaws for a pnuematic chuck to hopefully improve concentricity.

If I wanted to grip bars from 50mm dia to about 10mm dia would three sets of jaws be enough? What I'm basically asking is are there any rules-of-thumb relating bar diameter and the amount of jaw contact / diameter?

Regards Rob

Reply to
Rob Hammond

How about improving your standard jaws. Many posts here about that! I hone my hard jaws every couple of years and hols .005" which is good enough for me. I make soft jaws for each critical job that hold .0005". I bore soft jaws about .002" under dia of the workpiece.

Reply to
Tom Gardner