leadscrew repair ?

The leadscrew for the cross slide on my 1958 Clausing is worn to the point the Acme threads now have sharp tops. The Clausing service center wants $405 for a replacement. This is the telescopic screw used with the taper attachment. The new nut I can afford but not the screw. Is there any way to repair the screw? Or might anyone have a used one I could buy reasonably?

Thanks

Roger in Vegas Worlds Greatest Impulse Buyer

Reply to
Roger Hull

Errol G. detailed just such a repair for one of his schools south bend machines. They just silver soldered in a section of acme threaded rod in place of the worn lead screw, and threaded up a new bronze nut.

He did detail the process on his web site for the school IIRC.

Jim

jim rozen

That article is still online at

Any questions feel free to get in touch.

Errol Groff Instructor, Machine Tool Department H.H. Ellis Tech

613 Upper Maple Street Danielson, CT 06239

860 774 8511 x1811

Errol Groff

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:29:25 -0800, Roger Hull wrote (in message ):

I should add the screw is hollow with internal splines and, as best I can measure it it is 5/8-10 Left Hand Acme threads. I lack the skill or equipment to reproduce the internal splines.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Roger Hull

Grind up an acme (20 deg) tool and turn up a new one.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Hmm. Turn the old thread off the splined area, and bore out the end of the screw you bought. Then silver solder the splines in place?

Liberal use of stop-off suggested!

Jim

jim rozen

Splines are probably best for long-term operation, but I bet it would work OK with a square shaft. Silver solder in a pre-cut square hole?

reasonably?

Reply to
Alan Raisanen

My father in law had the same problemon his Taiwan lathe (they used free machining steel). Got a piece of 4140 precision acme rod from either MSC or McMaster-Carr. Not to badly priced. Cut off the old handle and welded on the threaded rod section in place of the worn piece. Works well andhave enough to do it twice more!

Geoffm

Reply to
geoff merryweather

I'm faced with a similar repair, though I don't have the spline issue to deal with. I can make a new screw if I had could get the right precision acme threaded rod. Does any one know where to get 9/16"-8 LH acme threaded rod? And a matching tap?

If I can not get it, I can cut a new leadscrew from scratch, but was wondering what type of material was original used. The lathe is a Cincinnati Tray-Top, about 1952 vintage. My first guess would be to use preharden 4140.

Thanks

Vince

Mark Rand wrote:

Reply to
Vince Iorio

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 18:46:50 -0800, Vince Iorio wrote (in message ):

I ordered LH acme threaded rod from MSC on the 'net. I bet they have taps also.

Roger in Vegas Worlds Greatest Impulse Buyer

Reply to
Roger Hull

Reply to
Tom Wait