Scissors lift

Hi, guys & gals. For some time I've been wanting to build a small scissors
lift to raise and lower the seat on my electric wheelchair (with me in it).
I've already obtained a 24v motor and a Acme leadscrew and pretty well have
it planned out. I'm aiming for a total lift of 20" with a load of 250#. But I
wonder if I'm reinventing the wheel here. Has anyone here done anything along
this same line and could share their experience or point me to plans, ect, on
the 'net? Thanks in advance for any help.
Roger in Vegas
Worlds Greatest Impulse Buyer
Reply to
Roger Hull
I worked in a shop where scissor lift tables were fabricated but.. I don't know how much good I could do you, I wasn't much involved in the engineering except for complaining about inaccesible welds and such..
Toss out what you've got figured so far, I'd hate to sit here and hammer out a bunch of stuff that you're already beyond..
Cheap/simple- couple of matched scissor jacks, left and right. Probably more weight than you need though..
John
Reply to
JohnM
Roger, Check out this link (no association with me) as you may be able to create something on this order that will fill your needs.

kws2003
Sorry Roger, take the "Ken" off the end of the link. Ken.
Reply to
kws2003
On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 22:19:04 -0700, the inscrutable Roger Hull spake:
Wouldn't standing vs. lifting be a better idea for you?
Check out these guys:
Plans?
Rory Cooper might be a good source for your research:
Larry Jaques
Here's one approach: Lots of photos and specs, Patented of course.
This design should be easily adaptable for a power base if it has enough inherent stability. You got a hell of a moment arm to affect stability when you're up there.
Have been having similar thoughts about making something similar for my Jazzy 1170. I think I'd be more comfortable with somewhat less lift and maybe some kind of incorporated outrigger arrangement for lateral stability. The whole world isn't level, unfortunately, and it might only take a few degrees for things to get tippy. My Jazzy base's 295 pounds empty weight might help though. as might the four-point seat mounts.:)
Reply to
John Husvar
So, of course, I forgot to paste the URL in.
John Husvar
Just noticed the other day that Wal-Mart now has an electric scissor lift, meant for changing your tires. Cost is about fifty bucks each. Worth checking out. A lot like this:
but half the price.
| Hi, guys & gals. For some time I've been wanting to build a small scissors | lift to raise and lower the seat on my electric wheelchair (with me in it). | I've already obtained a 24v motor and a Acme leadscrew and pretty well have | it planned out. I'm aiming for a total lift of 20" with a load of 250#. But I | wonder if I'm reinventing the wheel here. Has anyone here done anything along | this same line and could share their experience or point me to plans, ect, on | the 'net? Thanks in advance for any help. | | Roger in Vegas | Worlds Greatest Impulse Buyer |
Reply to
carl mciver