A #2 The conduit may reduce air cooling and exceed the temperature rating on the insulated conductors. In addition the insulation on the Romex is probably NMD not NMW. NMW is required for underground installations. In reality you will probably be fine since you will not likely max out the conductor ampacity and hopefully you get some cooling from mother earth ..... unless you live in Arizona or the like.

Reply to
Walt Springs

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 20:04:46 -0800, Walt Springs wrote (in message ):

#1 The thing to do here is to unhook one of the hot wires at the breaker and make it a neutral. That will give you 120 at the pump. Actually you should unhook both wires and use a new single-pole breaker. You give up the 240 this way but that sounds like what you want.

#2 Like he said.

Roger in Vegas Worlds Greatest Impulse Buyer

Reply to
Roger Hull
1) NO !! it may be possible for you to get electricuted if the path of lesser resistence is through your feet then into the ground !!

current could flow through pump, into your ground rod, hit your feet (or something else), then back into the ground.

2) hmmm, most likely due to heating issues. k

Reply to
Kryptoknight

Hook one of the hot wires to the nuteral bus in your panel and you will have

Reply to
dwayne