Dividing head question

I'm looking for a small dividing head for use on a Mini-Mill. On Ebay people offer 8" or 12" heads and I don't know what that means. How are dividing heads measured? By swing, like a lathe? Or height of centerline above the table? Or what? Thanks for any help.

Roger in Vegas Worlds Greatest Impulse Buyer

Reply to
Roger Hull

Machineman

Roger,

8" or 12" refers to the diameter of the revolving plate - the area you place the work on.
Reply to
Robert Swinney

--One way to look at size: if you need a crane to move it I'd say it's too big for a mini-mill. 12" is definitely overkill. I've got an 8" and I use it on a Bridgeport; works fine for everything I've encountered so far..

Reply to
steamer