Dividing head question

I'm looking for a small dividing head for use on a Mini-Mill. On Ebay people
offer 8" or 12" heads and I don't know what that means. How are dividing
heads measured? By swing, like a lathe? Or height of centerline above the
table? Or what? Thanks for any help.
Roger in Vegas
Worlds Greatest Impulse Buyer
Reply to
Roger Hull
Loading thread data ...
The 8 or 12 refers to the max dia of work that could fit on the machine. So the 8" would have its centerline 4" from the table.
formatting link
explanation on this one. Not bad price if it stays there :-)
Roger Hull wrote:
Reply to
8" or 12" refers to the diameter of the revolving plate - the area you place the work on.
Bob Swinney
Reply to
Robert Swinney
--One way to look at size: if you need a crane to move it I'd say it's too big for a mini-mill. 12" is definitely overkill. I've got an 8" and I use it on a Bridgeport; works fine for everything I've encountered so far..
Reply to

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.