Dividing head question

I'm looking for a small dividing head for use on a Mini-Mill. On Ebay people
offer 8" or 12" heads and I don't know what that means. How are dividing
heads measured? By swing, like a lathe? Or height of centerline above the
table? Or what? Thanks for any help.
Roger in Vegas
Worlds Greatest Impulse Buyer
Reply to
Roger Hull
The 8 or 12 refers to the max dia of work that could fit on the machine. So the 8" would have its centerline 4" from the table.
explanation on this one. Not bad price if it stays there :-)
Roger Hull wrote:
Reply to
Machineman
Roger,
8" or 12" refers to the diameter of the revolving plate - the area you place the work on.
Bob Swinney
Reply to
Robert Swinney
--One way to look at size: if you need a crane to move it I'd say it's too big for a mini-mill. 12" is definitely overkill. I've got an 8" and I use it on a Bridgeport; works fine for everything I've encountered so far..
Reply to
steamer