Dividing head parts wanted

I've got a little Clausing mdl 8647 dividing
head. It only came with one disc,
the one with 15,16,17,18,19 and 20 holes. I
believe they originally came with
2 other discs. Anybody have a source for the
discs, and maybe a tail support
to match the head? I've been watching ebay and
no luck so far.
Bill
Reply to
BillM
You may have some luck buying any small tailstock and fabricating a block to bring the center up to the correct height. I'm guessing it would be a real longshot to source the missing plates unless Clausing can provide them.
Grant
Reply to
Grant Erwin
I made a tailstock for mine out of an angle plate and a rectangular steel block drilled and reamed for 1/2" drill rod, which can be repointed in the lathe. I have to set it to height with an adjustable parallel but it is easy to machine a taper by changing the height.
I think you could make an index plate by arranging a ring of drill bushings around a plug that you turn down until all the bushings touch each other.
Reply to
Jim Wilkins
You might try here, the sales site of John Stevenson and his wife.
David Merrill
Reply to
David Merrill
On the plates, someone already mentioned John Stevenson. I believe he makes them.
You can make your own. Lay out the holes by hand. Or, use the dividing head to do it. If you have a 40:1 head, the holes in the 18 hole ring will get you to within a half degree. Not accurate enough? Do a little reading - and thinking - about how dividing heads work. You'll find that - except for slop and error in the worm gearing, which you can't control - your workpiece will be 40 times as accurate as your dividing plate. Neat, no? So, if the plate you layed out by hand doesn't give you the accuracy you wish, use it to make another plate of the same hole count.
Here's the math. Assume a 5" diameter hole ring, 40:1 dividing head. Use the 18 hole ring to index, which will get you to a half degree on the workpiece. Actually, since it will be a half degree between positions, your hole will be located to within a quarter degree plus or minus - that's about a hundredth of an inch. Using that first plate you just made as an index plate will bring you to an accuracy on your workpiece of about a half minute, or several ten-thousandths of an inch.
On the tailstock, while you might find one that matches up perfectly to the center height of your head, or grind a baseplate to bring it to that height, I think I'd settle for one of the adjustable height tailstocks that are commonly available.
Just my two cents, though.
John Martin
Reply to
John Martin