Enco BS-0 dividing head question

Does anyone have one of these? It would be handy for making a few details in a project I'm working on. I know I'm looking at cheap, just wondering how cheap.

Thanks,

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Ive seen em used in a few shops. If you take care of them, dont bang em around and dont drop em on the floor too many times..they are pretty good from all reports.

Gunner

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do--- his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him. The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies. He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Oh..and you are likely gonna need to build or buy a tailstock as well.

Gunner

"Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimum food or water,in austere conditions, day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon. He doesn't worry about what workout to do--- his rucksack weighs what it weighs, and he runs until the enemy stops chasing him. The True Believer doesn't care 'how hard it is'; he knows he either wins or he dies. He doesn't go home at 1700; he is home. He knows only the 'Cause.' Now, who wants to quit?"

NCOIC of the Special Forces Assessment and Selection Course in a welcome speech to new SF candidates

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I have used a couple of them and then bought one. When I moved I sold it and have been thinking about getting another one. They are really nice for the money. A 5" chuck is just about perfect for it. They come in a heavy wood box with everything except the chuck.

Richard W.

Reply to
Richard W.

ails in a project

Catalog says tailstock included, would be a hell of deal if it is.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Catalog says tailstock included, would be a hell of deal if it is.

Stan

It's included. The only thing you will need to buy is a chuck and the chuck adapter plate is already in the set.

Richard W.

Reply to
Richard W.

Thanks everyone for the review. Anyone know the free shipping code for May?

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I got this from another site, so you may need to test it before hitting the order button.

"The current ENCO Code is PRSMAY. Good through June 30, 09."

Richard W.

Reply to
Richard W.

You have Applied the following promotions: PRSMAY - Free UPS Shipping on your order of $25 or more!

Thank you! Wes

Reply to
Wes

Let us know what you think of it when you get it.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Thanks, everyone, I just ordered one by phone, with the PRSMAY code the total was $269.99. She said they have about 5 left.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I sure hope there was 6 left when they took my order ;)

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Reply to
Tom Wait

Both collet series only go up to 1/2", not enough to hold large work for milling. Here is a work-around, the shaft and bushing centered the blank and the face plate holds it. The 40 tooth gear in that index is only 45mm in diameter, not quite concentric, and inadequate for milling steel.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Thanks Richard. 5" sounds about right. Enco doesn't have a good selection of moderately priced 4 jaw independent chucks at this time.

Wes "If I can not learn, I can not teach." Massad Ayoob

Reply to
Wes

Did you get yours yet? Mine showed up today. Noticed tag saying taiwan instead of china. That was a pleasant thing. Looks like I'll be happy with it.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Not yet. I'm too busy with rush jobs at work to play with it anyway.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I know the feeling, I worked 10 hour days last week and saturday.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I ordered one, and it came in this week. I am very happy with it, very good fit and finish. It is a MT2, and also came with a face plate for a chuck. I found some errors in the table in the book, have a spreadsheet just about done that shows all the divisions with the various plates. Will have a PDF up on my site later this week if anyone wants a copy. wentztech.com/metalworking

Dale

Reply to
KB9JJA

Repost from Jan 9:

I just made up the index tables for 40 and 90 using OpenOffice Calc. Rather than posting it I'll describe how so you can make your own for whatever number of divisions you need, or a different type of indexer. I leave space at the top for headers, comments and the file name. Don't type the quotes, only what's between them.

Enter headers "N" in cell A3, "40/N" in B3, "90/N" in C3. Enter "1" in cell A4, "=3D1+A4" in A5. It should show 2. Select and copy A5, then select a block from A6 downward. Paste. The pasted cells should read

2 3 4 5 6 etc Continue until you have all the sequential numbers you want in column A. I went to 100.

Now type in the indexing formulas. Enter "=3D40/A4" in B4, "=3D90/A4" in C4. Select and copy B4 & C4, paste them in below as far as the end of the numbers in A. Select columns B and C and format their cells as Fraction. Change the format code to # ??/??

You should see: N 40/N 90/N

1 40 90 2 20 45 3 13 1/3 30 4 10 22 1/2

Columns B and C give the full and partial handle turns to divide by N in column A. For instance, 3 on a 40:1 indexer requites 13 full turns plus 1/3rd more, like 5 spaces on the 15 circle. The denominator of the fractions is always the number of divisions N or a factor of it. It may help to figure out and type in the factors of N in column D, such as 63 =3D 3 X 3 X 7. Then you can see that 3, 7, 9 and 21 are all factors of 63, and match them to the available hole circles. The sector gear I recently made used 20/34 for 68 teeth.

You could create a short one-page table and then enter whatever value of N you need as text to see which index circle(s) will work for it.

Jim Wilkins

Reply to
Jim Wilkins