yet another reason for safety clothing

I have been doing some lathe work in my garage without a shirt this summer (it's down to 95 degrees at 05:00 if I am lucky), and I discovered a really good reason not to do this. Cleaning out aluminum belly button lint is NO FUN.

A little older, a little wiser and a lot sorer, BobH

Reply to
BobH

Consider yourself lucky. I tig welded for a half hour without a shirt.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Oh, you poor fool! Ouch!

Not the best way to train yourself to always remember to wear the right protection....

Reply to
Todd Rich

Ouch! I usually get a small V from the collar of the shirt I use for welding, but most of my TIG welding is pretty low current work. I bet that the insides of your arms were a mess.

BobH

Reply to
BobH

It is much worse than the immediate pain. Also very risky long term.

Reply to
Ignoramus22312

Seems to me I remember about 8 or 10 years back some woman was on RCM saying she put on 45 SPF sunscreen and arc welded in the nude. She got a lot of attention.

CarlBoyd

Reply to
Carl Boyd

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 20:33:12 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Carl Boyd" quickly quoth:

If nothing else, spatter HAD to hurt in all those tender areas.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'm sure most of the onlookers were indeed standing at attention!

Reply to
Den

Ouch.

Friend spent the day repairing the cargo bays of a bus. Mostly a lot of cutting and prepping the sheet metal. Then welding it in place with shielded arc. But it was kind of cramped in there, so he'd just line of the tip, close his eyes and spot weld the panels in. Yep, sunburned all round his head. Fortunately for him, it was the early 70s, so he had lots of hair to protect his scalp.

tschus pyotr

-- pyotr filipivich "I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed over walking into the saloon, because when I asked the bartender whether they served zombies he said, ?Sure, what'll you have?'" from I Hear America Swinging by Peter DeVries

Reply to
pyotr filipivich