Chuck question

I got a used 6 1/4" three jaw chuck a couple of years ago. It has always required a lot of effort to open or close. I took it apart and cleaned and lubricated it when I first got it and everything appeared normal. I've got it apart again now and the all the jaws are tight in all the slots of the body; to the point I can't move them with my hand but have to rap them with a soft-faced hammer.

Question: If I lap the jaws to the body am I going to regret it later?

Thanks.

Roger in Vegas Worlds Greatest Impulse Buyer.

Reply to
Roger Hull

I had an old chuck that behaved the same way. A close inspection showed some dings in the jaw ways. Stoning down the dings without taking away any other metal fixed it.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I had an old chuck that behaved the same way. A close inspection showed some dings in the jaw ways. Stoning down the dings without taking away any other metal fixed it.

This fix is usually necessary for off-shore chucks, too, even if new.

The jaws should slide through easily, without excessive force and without play.

Also, the jaws should fit the scroll without binding.

A little stoning here and there will make a difference.

Reply to
Peter H.

Check the jaws and the face of the chuck for where the problem is happening. Odds are that the jaws have a rough finish inside the grooves for the face or the face has a rough cut on the slot. Look for bright spots that have formed from the upsetting of the metal and file them (not the whole area but just the little bit of bright spot) down a little and try again. Make sure that you get the jaws go into the correct slots each time or you may end up with problems.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works every time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

No, you won't regret it. I have had to do it a few times with new chucks. Only don't use a coarse grit. You only have to take out a small amount of material and open and close the jaws 2 or 3 times. Then clean it really good and see how it feels. Sometimes you have to do it twice. It has been a while since I have done one. I think I used 800 grit.

Richard W.

Reply to
Richard W.

It depends on *where* off-shore. I've had very good results with my Bison (which is from Poland).

Agreed.

Also agreed.

Ideally, it should not be necessary, but if it is, it will help.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Paint it up with a magic marker and run things through. You'll see what and where quickly.

mj

Reply to
michael