radius change on a conventional mill

I need to machine a 6" radius on the face of a piece of 2" x 4"X14" long piece of 316 stainless. The radius will be deep enough to consume the 4" face and run along the 14" length. I have a 6" cutter and would like to know the formula for how far to tilt the head to replicate a 6"radius. I have done this procedure before but used the trial and error approach. Any assistance would be much appreciated and help me score brownie points at work. Jim Reid

Reply to
Jim Reid

That is simple geometry if it is what I think that you are doing is. You're trying to put a concave surface to a piece of metal down the piece. The angle ends up being the perpendicular angle of the two edges of the curved section in one direction. The other angle is the amount of depth that you want the curve

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works every time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

I came up with 26 degrees 41 minutes and 28 seconds (or 26.691 decimal) from vertical. The radius is not perfect but a bit ellipsical.

Fred

Reply to
ff

Fred

I am at a loss to figure how you can cut a 6" radius with a 6" diameter tool. If the tool has a 3" radius how can you get much else from it. Leigh@MarMachine

Reply to
Leigh Knudson

Take a 6" plate out of your cupboard. Hold it front of you level. Now tip it slightly toward you. See the radius that the edge of the plate makes in profile? It's more than 3" isn't it?

Fred

Reply to
ff