Grizzly Machines

Has anyone had any experience with Grizzly mills or lathes? Considering a purchase of new equipment or visiting auctions.

Thanks

Reply to
Lou

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 7:26:32 -0700, Lou wrote (in message ):

I have a Grizzly Mini-mill and like it just fine. I did do the conversion to belt drive and highly recommend that modification to everyone.

Roger in Vegas Worlds Greatest Impulse Buyer

Reply to
Roger Hull

Hi Lou,

I have had the G1006 mill drill for around 6 years. Add a decent vise, a good drill chuck, some end mill holders, and tram the head and you have a good machine for the money. It isn't an industrial knee mill, but it does good work within the limits of the machine and its operator :-) I did add a power feed and made larger handwheel handles as the provided plastic ones were too small for my hands.

The Grizzly 9 inch lathe is the same as all the PRC 9X20s, so I'd expect it would need all the fixup sort of work needed on the rest.

The larger lathes looked quite good for the money, felt pretty decent on the movements in the showroom, but I haven't used one under power. Folks have stated that they are satisfies with the 13 inch lathes Grizzly sells.

Cheers, Stan

Lou wrote:

Reply to
Stan Stocker

Yep, I bought the G4003 12x36 gear head lathe last year and love it. I am a hobbyist so could not give you much direction on how accurate it is, but I regularly make parts to 0.001" tolerance (liquid rocket engines) and it has worked great for me. I have seen a lot of people mention all the tools you have to buy but it came with everything I needed so I have only added a knurler for $30. From what I have read about the difficulty some people have had with the smaller hobby lathes, I think it was worth spending the $2000 for this one. I did not have the confidence to buy a used one from ebay since I didn't know that much about them.

-Stuart

--

Reply to
Stuart Leslie