'Lectrics Question

and I have in hand one 340-408 Mfd start cap . I'm pretty sure it makes no difference but ... is there a reason the mfr would spec 2 caps in
parallel rather than one bigger one ? This is a 2 hp 230V 1725 RPM , original purpose unknown . Since the motor on a table saw I have is junk , I want to use this one . I know the original is a 3450 RPM , I can make that up with a larger pulley on the motor . In fact I may have one on hand that will work , originally made for the lathe .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Greetings Terry, I too have a motor that uses two caps in parallel. I think this is because when my motor was made one cap that was large enough would have been a much larger diameter and the motor designer wanted a cap cover that didn't stick out so much. I can't see any reason why you can't use only one cap. As long as the cap is rated for that duty. Eric
On 10/17/2019 6:21 PM, snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

new too .
--
Snag