'Lectrics Question

  I have a motor that calls for 2 177 Mfd start caps wired in parallel and I have in hand one 340-408 Mfd start cap . I'm pretty sure it makes no difference but ... is there a reason the mfr would spec 2 caps in parallel rather than one bigger one ? This is a 2 hp 230V 1725 RPM , original purpose unknown . Since the motor on a table saw I have is junk , I want to use this one . I know the original is a 3450 RPM , I can make that up with a larger pulley on the motor . In fact I may have one on hand that will work , originally made for the lathe .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Greetings Terry, I too have a motor that uses two caps in parallel. I think this is because when my motor was made one cap that was large enough would have been a much larger diameter and the motor designer wanted a cap cover that didn't stick out so much. I can't see any reason why you can't use only one cap. As long as the cap is rated for that duty. Eric

Reply to
etpm

  It's the start cap from my burned up air compressor motor , fairly new too .
Reply to
Terry Coombs