Flat Wrenches

I'm sure most production flat wrenches are punched out of a piece of sheet, and deburred.
I need to make a couple flat wrenches for some collet chuck tool
holders, but I neither have such a huge press, a desire to make a punch and die for one of each tool, nor stock on hand of suitable thickness. What I have handy is 1" thick flat bar. I was thinking I might cut my wrenches into the top surface of the flat bar, slice them off with the bandsaw, and then grind them roughly flat with a bench top belt sander.
On 20/10/2019 23:23, Bob La Londe wrote:

Maybe look at DIN 894 single ended spanners as a solution as I've used them many times when users of my tools have buggered the standard
replacement.
On 10/20/2019 4:54 PM, David Billington wrote:> On 20/10/2019 23:23, Bob La Londe wrote: >> I'm sure most production flat wrenches are punched out of a piece of >> sheet, and deburred. >> >> I need to make a couple flat wrenches for some collet chuck tool >> holders, but I neither have such a huge press, a desire to make a >> punch and die for one of each tool, nor stock on hand of suitable >> thickness. What I have handy is 1" thick flat bar. I was thinking I >> might cut my wrenches into the top surface of the flat bar, slice them >> off with the bandsaw, and then grind them roughly flat with a bench >> top belt sander. >> > Maybe look at DIN 894 single ended spanners as a solution as I've used > them many times when users of my tools have buggered the standard > punched steel spanners by over tightening them and I demanded a > replacement. >
They seem to be cheap enough depending on the source.

Good old tappet wrenches were drop forged alloy steel.
On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 00:54:44 +0100
<snip>

If you would like to just buy some decent thin spanner wrenches take a look at the ones made for bicycle work. I have a few old (~25 years) Park wrenches and they are pretty good...
If you have access to a Plasma-Cam type machine I suspect they could blow out wrenches pretty quick :)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Dull circular saw blades can be annealed, shaped into tools and hardened. Tin can steel makes an adequate one-use heat treating pouch to minimize scaling. I got my stock of dull blades from a carpenter who was cleaning out his truck, and use my wood stove to heat them.
On 10/20/2019 9:23 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

NOT carbide tipped blades, I assume.

IIRC a coupon from a carbide blade also hardened. I did this a long time ago and didn't take notes.. If you have a wood stove it's easy to test a sample. I watch out for free sources of hardenable steel in various useful sizes and shapes.
On Sunday, October 20, 2019 at 6:23:39 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:

I always check places like the Habitat for Humanity store before making wrenches.
Dan
On 10/22/2019 7:00 AM, snipped-for-privacy@krl.org wrote:

Yeah, I ought to go over there and wander around more often. Its not far from my shop. Maybe closer than my favorite nuts and bolts vendor. The problem is I always seem to find something I really don't need and it follows me home. One time I found some new still in package 3/16 threading dies... They are still new in package a year and a half later. In fact the only thing I can think of I have ever used with a 3/16 thread is one particular size of toggle bolts.
On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 07:40:31 -0700
<snip>

They used to let me look through their trash/recycle bin here. Picked up all sorts of odds & ends for basically scrap price or what ever they made up and I agreed to. They got a new manager that took a dislike to me and that was that...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI