Lincoln TIG welder trouble -- no HF

This is a Lincoln Idealarc 250 TIG AC/DC welder.

After rewiring it from 460 to 230 volts, at first it seemed to work great, as evidenced by stick welding.

However, further testing revealed that there is NO high frequency output. I checked the spark gap and it is about what it should be, which is .040. When HF is turned on, there is no arcing activity at all in the spark gap and no characteristic noise.

I am, obviously, withdrawing my for sale offer until further notice.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Ignoramus17892

One assums you have done the following...

  1. Set the machine to HF Constant
  2. Checked your tig pedal to make sure its actualy fireing up the circuit? It should also start the gas flow.

see section 2.6 of the pdf

  1. Check to see if you have HF on DC-, DC+ and AC

I have a Lincoln 300 that doesnt produce anything other than MAXIMUM output at any setting, but only on DC- & DC+. AC works just fine. Still dont know whats up with that...its in the To Do pile.

Check to make sure your HF is not grounded anywhere inside the case or line

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Item 11 in the troubleshooting chart in Section 3.4?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I have a Lincoln TIG 300/300. I had no HF & it ended up being the relay.

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

OK... I will look today with a printed manual in hand... Any sort of a relay should be easily replaceable. I will not presume too much from the beginning.

Ignoramus19289