Location for a grinder

So I'm moving things about in my tiny little shop yet again (having purchased one more tool I don't need, can't afford, don't have room for and absolutely had to have).

I'm now left trying to find room for my 8" grinder.

My options are to build a 3' high stand "over and around" a chest of drawers that could also be bolted to the floor OR welding up a STRONG wall bracket/shelf assembly and lag screwing it all to the wall. I could easily catch 3 2x4s.

The latter is cheaper and easier, but I wonder if I'm missing something.

Any thoughts ?

Alan

Reply to
Alan Rothenbush

Alan,

My shop is in a 2.5 car garage, but room is still a premium. I built a wall shelf out of some scrap 1/4" thick aluminum diamond plate I pulled out of a scrap metal dumpster. Picture the sides being triangular shaped with a bottom and back. The 8" bench grinder is mounted to a piece of the diamond plate which itself is mounted with four rubber isolator mounts to the actual shelf. The power cord goes behind and under the diamond plate the grinder is mounted to, and through a grommetted hole in the bottom of the shelf. I MIG welded the aluminum together. The aluminum cuts down on weight tremendously. I've kind of run out of wall space, and the grinder and "shelf" is currently sitting on a roll-about table, at least for now. The shelf keeps the sparks in one area.

Dave Young

Reply to
Dave Young

If you have the room under a workbench top, you could mount the grinder to a platform, be it wood or metal, and hinge that to the underside of the workbench top. When needed, swing it up into place (parallel with the floor) and place a prop under it. When done, remove the prop and let it swing back under the top of the workbench, out of the way. Ken.

Reply to
Anonymous

Ken;

Thanks for the thought, but that's exactly what I'm going to do with my buffer/wire wheel "thing", ( if you saw this home-brew contraption, "thing" is what you'd call it too ! ) mount it right under the grinder, whatever the grinder ends up on.

Alan

-- Alan Rothenbush | The Spartans do not ask the number of the Academic Computing Services | enemy, only where they are. Simon Fraser University | Burnaby, B.C., Canada | Agix of Sparta

Reply to
Alan Rothenbush