TIG Cart Project...Source for cabinet/drawers?

Hi,

I'm building up a cart for my welders, and want to put a small "chest of drawers" to hold miscellaneous stuff. I'm having a hard time finding something that will work, and wondered if anyone has some ideas.

Ideally, I want a cabinet with 3-4 drawers, 15 to 18 inches wide, about 15 inches tall, and about 18 inches deep. I can't seem to find anything like this. I've seen many "side cabinet" tool boxes that hang on the sides of large tool boxes, but the shortest one I've found is 29 inches high.

Alternatively, I could make up my own, but shudder about doing so if I have to cut up metal to weld up drawers. If I could just buy drawers, or metal trays to make into drawers, that could be an option.

Anyone have any ideas or sources?

TIA, Jeff

Reply to
Jeff W

You might be able to repurpose steam table pans to make drawers, but I don't find any as deep as you want.

KLC Lewis

Northern Tool

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I only did one drawer on mine. I had the sheet metal shop cut and fold it. I just tig'ed the corners and mounted the hardware. Still, if you can find a premade unit, that'd be the way to go.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

The drawer I made for my TIG cart is a plywood box resting on angle- iron rails. TIG stuff is light enough that it doesn't need slides and without them it stays in place when the cart is moved and can be pulled completely out from either side. The handles are nylon webbing which won't snag when it rolls past other machines.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I made sliding shelves instead of drawers.

You could do something similar using bins instead.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjkREMOVE

Here's the link to mine with the sheet metal shop bent drawer I mentioned before.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor