Magnetism in engine parts

Does any one know why crankshafts and camshafts develope a magnatism? It is a problem because the shafts attract minute particles of debris causing premature failure of the engine due to bearing failure. I work at a shop that rebuilds engines. Can anyone help?

Reply to
stevem21

Probably from forming. In the olden days, rumor has it, they made magnets by striking iron in a north-south orientation. Or something like that. (Maybe it had an eye of newt quench too, I forget.)

Magnetos at all? Or am I thinking too lawn-mower-ey...

Tim

-- "I have misplaced my pants." - Homer Simpson | Electronics, - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -+ Metalcasting and Games:

Tim Williams

Got me also, magnefluxing and didn't switch it the other way? That wouldn't be good for cams and cranks.

Reply to
Sunworshiper

I have never noticed this, but if it happens it is probably not a very strong effect. If you are worried I can suggest two things. First a machine shop may be able to demagnetize the shaft, they do this on small parts that they hold on a magnetic chuck.

Secondly, the premature wear might be avoided by having a stronger magnet in the oil pan as the this should catch most of the little bits in the oil.

This might be a non issue as the engine is designed so the crank or cam does not usually ride directly on the bearing or the lifter or rocker, but rather there is a hydrodynamic oil cushion that keeps the two apart.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

It still works today: Take a piece of fairly hard steel (most mechanically hard steels are magnetically "hard"). Put it on your anvil orinted north-south, and beat the hell out of it (basically give it a hard enough whack that if it were sprung into a bend it would take a set). I've done this, and it works. Special quenches are unnecessary.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I presume this has to do with the anvil as an erm, for lack of a better term, magnetic "sink", and the steel has to be deformed enough to whack the domains into alignment with it?

Tim

-- "I have misplaced my pants." - Homer Simpson | Electronics, - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -+ Metalcasting and Games:

Tim Williams

Try it. It is easy to do. I demagnetize things that attract iron chips in the shop by orienting them East/ West and smacking with a mallet. Some steels work much better than others, but no eye of newt required.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

No, you can't hit it hard enough if it's on soil or wood! An anvil made out of rock will do.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

That was an old high school physics demo. Iron bar - demonstrated to be non-magnetic - does not affect a compass. Hand held with a couple of slaps on the end with a hammer - voila! attracts a compass. Regards. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

Mark Rand wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

states that magnetism can in induced in mechanical parts by shock or high stress, in addition to being induced by soaking in a magnetic field. I imagine a camshaft or crankshaft might be subject to both shock and high stress on occasion. Also, electrical currents flowing through rotating mechanical parts and their stationary mountings can set up magnetic fields, thus immersing the parts in a magnetic field, inducing some residual magnetism. Could a poorly-insulated electrical system be running a current through the engine?

Reply to
Hitch