Chicago Rawhide Hammer

I bought this hammer at the swap meet for $5. It has two parts that clamp together with a nut on the handle side. The rawhide should
be between 2-1/2"-2-3/4" Dia. and I guess 2"+. Where can I buy them and what should be on each end? It looks like it says C/A cast on one end and 5 on the other ? I'm at a loss on where to look or what they are called. Feed store, dog bones, saddle shop, and how to do it. Boil it if I can find it , if so how do I roll it up hot. Leather on one side and rawhide on the other? It would be nice to have it in working order for machine stuff that you don't want to hurt.
Hi, I bought some new faces for my hammers a few years ago -- I think from Wholesale Tool in the Detroit area. These are quite common and you should be able to find them elsewhere.
The replacement face is basicly a rolled up "puck" of rawhide. They also make nylon and urethane faces.
Good luck. They are nice hammers -- though I tend to mostly use deadblow hammers these days.
Mill

Here's some, courtesy Google for "rawhide hammer faces":
http://www.contractorstools.com/garlandfaces.html http://www.angloamericantools.com/thor / http://www.thorhammer.com/spliheadham.htm http://www.thorhammer.com/spliheadham.htm
Hope that helps; There's others, too.
HB

J Bird Says -------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
We bought some about one month ago, from Mc Master, they are in stock.
Sunworshiper wrote:

This is a little OT, but the "soft hammer" I inherited from my dad,(he was a jeweler) has an all rawhide head.
I used it just last month as a result of a quaint request posted to this group. The hammer shows plenty of wear on the faces, resulting from dad's pounding G-d knows how many strips of precious metal around ring mandrels throughout his career.
See dad's hammer at:
http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/jeff/jring.html
Jeff
--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Glad to hear someone helped that guy out. :) Thanks for posting the pics - the ring turned out really nice, eh?
chem
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

No doubt , it was a good story . So that's what a spoon ring is. I couldn't picture what he was talking about , but then I don't wear any jewelry.

You did a good job. As for the hammer , I got it cause it has some weight to it. The cast iron has been hit many times on the edges so that it isn't completely round. It looks like it should be put together with the raw hide limp then tightened up and left to dry. I don't have a scanner anymore , but its a beastly old looking thing.

Well, I got mine from the same place I bought my hammers, Orchard Supply hardware out on the coast in CA, when I lived there. I also turned up a little mold out of a hydraulic shafting cutoff and cast some soft lead faces, handy for bashing sheet metal and some other types of things. I haven't seen replacement heads anywhere, at least in rawhide. Bought a bunch when I had the chance, only have a couple left that I'm going to have to use, when I use it, it really gets used. I was thinking of getting some nylon bar and turning up some faces out of that, too. Mine are a little smaller than yours and came with rawhide for both faces.
Stan

OSH still sells 'em.
Richard Coke