Lockheed fusion reactor

And, the incidents in Japan bolstered the anti-nuke people for decades.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Too many people stand to lose too much money and power. I remember the days in my youth when the "Popular Science" magazine came in the mail. The daydreams ran rampant...I still want my flying car that I was promised when I was nine years old! Now, even Popular Science doesn't deliver to kids today. Where can they get inspired?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Both. Fusion would be ideal, if it can be made to work, which is a big question with the existing technology. While LFTR/MSTR is still fission, it solves several problems such as the disposal of "spent" fuel rods, is much safer as it operates at zero system pressure, and produces no bomb material, in addition to being "fail safe" if properly designed. To a considerable extent LFTR/MSTR builds on existing nuclear technology, and appears to be far more of an engineering/development challenge than a Nobel prize physics challenge. for more details on problems solved see

F. George McDuffee

Gunner Asch on Sat, 18 Oct 2014 12:48:37 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

[thorium reactor arguments snipped]

Snip

IF it involves 'heavy' elements like Thorium, Uranium, or Plutonium it is fission.

IF it involves light elements like Hydrogen (either Deuterium or Tritium), then it is Fusion.

pyotr filipivich

LFTRs are fission based reactors. Nothing special they are simply breeder reactors. Breeder reactors have been around since 1944. Neutron capture transmutes the thorium into uranium (U233). They operate on the same physics principles as the hanford B reactor:

All fission reactors produce unavoidable fission products, the problem is these fission products if allowed to accumulate in the fuel will poison the reactor ( fission will stop) and the reactor will shut down. This is the reason comerical reactors use such a small ammount of available fissile material. LFTRs have the same problem they generate unwanted fission products ( nuclear waste ) that will have to be disposed of somewhere.

Now if the good folks at lockheed have indeed produce a working fusion reactor that can be scaled up to commercial scale power generation that would be a big leap forward in producing energy. A working fusion reactor would produce very little radioactive waste in comparison to a fission reactor and could use 100% of the fusion fuel. I realy hope they have done it and it is cost effiecient. Might be they have achieved self sustaining cold fusion?

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
Howard Beal

George you got it wrong on fission. Its a simple law of physics that fission will produce radioactive fission products. It makes no difference if the fuel is a fuel rod or a molten salt. You also have it wrong on bomb making material. LFTRs are simply breeder reactors, they convert thorium into uranium 233 a proven bomb making material. Last but not least its not an engineering challenge, engineers work within the laws of physics they cannot change them.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
Howard Beal

The indian nuclear establishment have been using thorium augmented fuel rods in their commercial power reactors for some time now, and plan to have a 300 mw hybrid prototype reactor in 2016.

Ridiculous estimate by people who don't want to do it.

LFTR/MSTR builds on existing expertise, and most of the components, such as control systems are available "off the shelf." Starting from the "ground zero" of the Manhattan Project [ 1942

] to first commercial power reactor [ 1958
] took only 16 years.

But not to worry, the PRC will build the units for US. ;-(

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

That design uses conventional fuel rods it is not a LFTR.

There are new uranium reactors being built to replace the obsolete units that have shut down. At this point in time there realy is no need to build thorium based reactors. If lockheed realy has a working fusion reactor fission reactors will become a footnote in history.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
Howard Beal