Logan Lathe parts ?

I got ham-handed and broke a casting tonight . It's the change gear bracket , which carries the intermediate gears between the QC box and the reversing gear . Logan's old part number is LA227 , new p/n is LP1349 . Anybody out there got one they'd like to part with ? I'd try to fix this one but it's already been broken and repaired once , right next to the place it broke tonight . I figgered it was just a matter of time , but was surprised when if failed next to the old repair . Change "snagnone" to "snagone" in my reply-to address if you'd care to reply offlist .

Reply to
Snag

Scott Logan is a most helpful guy. Ask him

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Put a picture in the drop box or in a link..and Ill dig though my Stuff

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

He certainly is . I've already checked availability , and was hoping to find one for less than the new price ... which has gone up another twenty bucks since I bought the manuals from him a couple of years ago .

Reply to
Snag

That might take a day or two . There's a similar one on ebay , I'll find it this afternoon and post that link . Thanks !

Reply to
Snag

Well , I may get lucky ... found one on ebay , might actually win the auction . If not , I've figgered out how this one can be repaired (the part that broke is the round section right at the base of the bottom bolt lug ). This ebay link has a picture

I bolted it back together with a spacer in the slot , which holds the part that broke off in proper alignment . I have ground it out nearly thru at the break and intend to braze it with a nickel-silver rod (the older repair I believe is a nickel based filler , grinds nicely without loading the disc , but no sparks) . Preheat and post heat so it doesn't warp or crack , build up a nice fillet in the inside corner area where it's weakest , and bury it in ashes or vermiculite to cool slowly . Oh , and make a filler for that flat spot on the casting this mounts on . Both breaks are in that unsupported area on the gearbox casting .

Reply to
Snag

I took a look at the link you provided. No big deal. If you have a mill, it wouldn't be much of a project to make one from steel, which wouldn't break.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

If I had a mill , I *would* make one . (sigh) But I don't have one yet , so ... buy one or repair what I have . Or both and keep a spare .

Reply to
Snag

That does, indeed, make it much harder to machine one! :-)

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Snag sezz:

Did you fix it or get a new one yet?

If you like - send me a sketch with dims and I can draw it up and get you some quotes for a new one made from the material and with the finish of your choice.

-- Doug

Reply to
Doug

I have a bid on one at auction right now , and if that falls thru I've already prepped the old one for repair . Took a little thought , but I think it can be repaired with the tooling I have . Thanks for asking !

Reply to
Snag