Logan taper attachment attachment

I'm thinking seriously about putting Thomas Morrison's taper attachment from the October/November "Machinist's Workshop" on my to do list . His design is for a Grizzley which seems to have a flat crossfeed carriage surface and tee slots. My Logan has a curved, unslotted, unholed surface on the back side of the crossfeed. The only soluton that comes to mind is to mill a flat on the crossfeed carriage and drill and tap a couple of holes. Is there a better or more elegant way? How are Logan factory taper attachments mounted ( assuming they are of similar design )

any comments are welcome. John

Reply to
John Hall

What model of Logan lathe do you have?

tim

Reply to
TSJABS

Sorry, I guess I figured that if I knew what it looked like everybody else would too :-). Its's a model 201, 10" swing over the ways.

John

Reply to
John Hall

Here is a picture of one from the logan website. I'm not exactly suure how it attaches, but it looks like you need to remove or disengage the crossfeed leadscrew.

Mike Eberlein

John Hall wrote:

Reply to
mikee

Scott Logan is such a nice, helpful fellow that he might just tell you if you asked him...

Reply to
George

From: "John Hall" Subject: Re: Logan taper attachment attachment Date: October 26, 2003 8:48 AM

Sorry, I guess I figured that if I knew what it looked like everybody else would too :-). Its's a model 201, 10" swing over the ways.

John

Reply to
John Hall

For the taper attatchment, the lead screw is splined/keyed to the shaft on the handwheel.

The leadscrew can slide in and out relative to the handwheel. The thrust bearing for the leadscrew is on the taper attatchment.

As long as the taper attatchment is not moving, it acts normally.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Logghe