Logan taper attachment attachment

I'm thinking seriously about putting Thomas Morrison's taper attachment from
the October/November "Machinist's Workshop" on my to do list . His design is
for a Grizzley which seems to have a flat crossfeed carriage surface and tee
slots. My Logan has a curved, unslotted, unholed surface on the back side of
the crossfeed. The only soluton that comes to mind is to mill a flat on the
crossfeed carriage and drill and tap a couple of holes. Is there a better or
more elegant way? How are Logan factory taper attachments mounted ( assuming
they are of similar design )
any comments are welcome.
John
Reply to
John Hall
What model of Logan lathe do you have?
tim
Reply to
TSJABS
Sorry, I guess I figured that if I knew what it looked like everybody else would too :-). Its's a model 201, 10" swing over the ways.
John
Reply to
John Hall
Here is a picture of one from the logan website. I'm not exactly suure how it attaches, but it looks like you need to remove or disengage the crossfeed leadscrew.
Mike Eberlein
John Hall wrote:
Reply to
mikee
Scott Logan is such a nice, helpful fellow that he might just tell you if you asked him...
Reply to
George
From: "John Hall" Subject: Re: Logan taper attachment attachment Date: October 26, 2003 8:48 AM
Sorry, I guess I figured that if I knew what it looked like everybody else would too :-). Its's a model 201, 10" swing over the ways.
John
Reply to
John Hall
For the taper attatchment, the lead screw is splined/keyed to the shaft on the handwheel.
The leadscrew can slide in and out relative to the handwheel. The thrust bearing for the leadscrew is on the taper attatchment.
As long as the taper attatchment is not moving, it acts normally.
Pete
Reply to
Pete Logghe