Looking for aluminum fitting source

Have a requirement to build some non-pressure reservoir tanks, and would like to find a decent source for aluminum weld in fittings such as 1/4 NPT, and also AN style like #8 or #10 male fittings. My initial search has found many race-car fabrication places where the prices seem to be significantly inflated.

I also will be connecting two 2" rubber hoses to this tank, in an effort to make the connection as reliable as possible, I would like to have a bead on the tube, just like an automotive radiator would have... is there a special bead roller tool for this? I cannot find much info about this.

Thanks to all helpful posters,

Ryan

Reply to
Ryan

Aeroquip would probably be your best source since they make a lot of the AN fittings that the racers use. You could check with them for a dealer in your area.

Chris

Off hand,

has these (but not NPT in aluminum specifically for welding) - only you can judge if the price suits you, but (at least in small quantities) I wouldn't expect to get them for much less.

WELD FITTING 8AN Male Aluminum 3269-08 71 5.99 Each WELD FITTING 10AN Male Aluminum 3269-10 71 6.49 Each

Yes, there are special tools for this, but the ones I could locate on the net that will handle 2" tubing are industrial (I.e., many $$$). Even tools for small diameter tubing (one inch and less) are pricey (I found one for $175 at aircraft-tool.com).

Reply to
David Gomberg

I bought the Harbor Freight $190 manual bead roller just for this, when it was on sale for $90. It comes with dies for 3 sizes of beads, cutoff, and 2 or 3 flange heights, and has a 14" throat so it's a pretty good sheetmetal tool. It's rated for about 18 ga steel but I put a bead on some 16 ga stainless steel tubing by adding a strap right at the dies (which cut the throat to about an inch) and making 3-4 passes, tightening down the dies each pass. Frame and mechanism are solid, but all the bolts are about grade 1. I need to replace them before I forget and strip one. The dies are about 2" in diameter so if you really need to be sure, write back and I'll measure a set. I got it to put beads in the ends of turbocharger and intercooler pipes, 2.5 and 3" OD - just hate it when a hose blows off at 25 psi boost :-).

-- Regards, Carl Ijames snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net

Reply to
Carl Ijames

Thanks Carl,

I will go to HF website and see if I can find it. Please do make that measurement if you don't mind.

Ryan

Reply to
Ryan

The bead dies are 1/4", 5/16", and 3/8", and the OD of the 1/4" die is

2.24". That's the die with the convex bead that has to go inside the tubing to make a bead that bulges out on the tubing, so sounds like they are just too big for your 2" tubing, sigh. Sorry if I got your hopes up :-). I did find a catalog with the sale price, however. Go to
click "order from printed catalog", and enter 34104-6ABB for the $89.99 price. This expires any day now according to the flyer, so if it turns up no good, use 34104-0RZH for a $99.99 price, still better than $189.99.