Machine start/stop buttons colors

I got a few heavy duty control panel push buttons at the dump. They're big (1" or so diam), with internal lights. I hooked them up as START-STOP buttons for my lathe. I used green for START & red for STOP.

I wired them so the "ready" button is lit. I.e, when the machine is stopped, the START button is lighted & when it's running, the STOP button is. But it doesn't seem natural. I instinctively reach for the (dark) START button to stop the lathe & vice versa, sometimes.

Is this the way buttons are usually lighted? (If so I'll learn to use them that way.) Or opposite. I.e., the STOP button is lighted when the lathe is stopped & START when it's running. Indicating status/state.

This is gonna drive my crazy unless I get an answer, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt