Mag LED Flashlights

Hi all,
Looks like Mag is finally going to do the LED thing... came across this.
http://www.maglite.com/LED_technology.asp
Happy Holidays!
Erik
Add pictures here
βœ–

About time! They have to do this if they wanna be in the flashlight biz much longer. I love their excuses for what took 'em so long.
Marketing:
" If these products have been a long time coming, it’s because the MAG-LED™ Technology has taken a long time to develop to the point where it is feasible to make an LED flashlight that meets Mag Instrument's high standards of quality, durability, style and function."
Engineering:
"How the f**k does Streamlight do that, anyway? Let's take another one apart!
Add pictures here
βœ–

Was at Wal Mart today. Saw that Mag had LED replacement systems for the standard bulbs. About 1/2 the price of a new one as I remember. If I had a Mag, I'd of got one for myself.
Karl
Add pictures here
βœ–
This is great news. I purchased two LED flashlights from harbor fright. There is no way I will ever purchase another from them.
Stephen R.

Add pictures here
βœ–
"S R" wrote: (clip) There is no way I will ever purchase another from them. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Really? Why? I bought two LED flashlights from them, and went back and bought more.
The thing is, there are now LED flashlights that are self-generating (never need batteries.) I think that's the wave of the future.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 03:31:46 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "S R"

Are those the 0.00005 watt models which are easily outshown by a single firefly?
------------------------------------------------------ No matter how hard you try, you cannot baptize a cat. ---------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development ---------------------------------------------------
Add pictures here
βœ–
The flashlights I purchased had poor quality all around. The black anodizing was acceptable, but the machining on the bodies was horrible. The design of the flashlight required you to throw the whole thing away if the LEDs burned out (no replaceable parts unless you break the adhesive bond). I am not even sure there was a warranty because the price was so low, I did not even bother to look. One thing I did with the smaller LED flashlight was convert it into a laser line for my sliding compound miter saw. I threw out the innards after disassembling it (breaking the bond), then installed the innards from a laser line pointer purchased from wal mart. Worked out pretty well. The flashlight lens protects the laser pretty good.
As a backup flashlight, I guess they are fine (I purchased two flashlights about 1/2 to 1 year ago, maybe they are better now). My primary flashlights are Mag lights, and I would not want to be in a situation relying on the inexpensive LED lights.
Stephen R.

Add pictures here
βœ–

Best way to do that is with heat. They just use common epoxy to lock the threads on those. Apply a heat gun.
Jim
please reply to:
βœ–

Not certain where she got it, but SWMBO came in the other day with a key chain flashlight about 1" long by 3/4" dia. and requested that it be installed on her key ring. After re-assembling it three times, the installation was completed. Next time I was in the car, I noticed various bits scattered on the mat. A couple days latter I found a neat little unit with an LED and two CR2016 Li batteries in a plastic enclosure where you squeeze the sides to turn it on. It even came with instructions on how to replace the batteries after their expected 35 hour life. All this for a buck at Dollarama whereas SWMBO paid 1.98 for the kit of parts she found. Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Add pictures here
βœ–
To late! I gave my mini-Mag to my 6 year old grandson when I realized how much better and more rugged my new Coast Laser V2 was. I doubt I will ever buy another Maglight unless they come out with a gazillion candle power 3D led model.
--
Glenn Ashmore

βœ–
I just bought a Nite Ize LED conversion for my mini-mag. It also came with a tailcap switch, all for 9 bucks at Lowe's big box.
Haven't had a chance to try it yet, anyone tried one?
Erik wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
t wrote:

Not a bad deal at all. There is another 3-LED mini-mag conversion from Opalec that goes for 25 bucks--the difference is that the Nite-Ize gets dim as the batteries get weak, while the Opalec goes at full brightness until the batteries get too weak to drive it at all--which is better for you depends on whether gradual dimming is preferable to full brightness and sudden extinction.
Certainly for the price it's a bargain.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
John said:

Another bargain coming down the pike: One of our local surplus outlets just got in a large case of 3 watt (single) led lights. About 6" long they take 3 AAA cells, side-by-side, in a small holder. No additional curcuitry but a decent black anodized barrel and they focus fairly well, although they vary in color temperature. At $20 each they sold out fast. I wound up with 5 for stocking stuffers and bought their last ones. They said they'll be buying more and I suspect, if they have them in our small town, they'll have them in your town soon, if they're not there already.
dennis in nca
Add pictures here
βœ–

Off topic..but for those of you in California or Aridzona with a Frys Electonics close by..they are selling a pair of Motorola FRS walki talkies for .......$7.95
Good though the 31st. I bought a set for myself, a friend say em, just had to have em..so I said merry christmas..went back and got another pair..another friend had to have em...
All reports so far say they work pretty damned well for such little bitty bastards. Packaging says 2mile range..and according to one of the recipients..across open country..it comes pretty close.
22 channels
Gunner
βœ–
Gunner Asch wrote:

Going back to topic, if you go to the Circuit City web site and search on "nexxtech" (note--that's two "x"es) you'll find a wide array of Chinese made flashlights (incandescent, fluorescent, and LED) and laser pointers and kitchen timers and thermometers and clocks and other oddments very cheap--they seem to be having some kind of clearance as some the stuff is marked down 60% or more. Even a hand-cranked lantern. Web-only specials but if you buy 25 bucks worth there's free shipping. Seems to actually be a real company too.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
βœ–

I'll ask a friend later, but I think nic-tac means "cheap crap" in Mandarin Chinese. It might be just generic labelling on the shipping container.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Mike Young wrote:

Yeah, it's all cheap and some of it is probably crap, but for 4 bucks how bad can a laser pointer or LED flashlight be?
"Nexxtech" is the name that is on the packaging, is designed into the logo and labels and it's a company brand owned by Orbyx Electronics, which seems to have some kind of relation to Circuit City--not exactly a store brand because they seem to be set up to sell products to other resellers--but Circuit City seems to have cosigned the loan on which they got started.
Only thing I have in my possession from them is an ultrasonic cleaner (ever try to find an ultrasonic cleaner in stock locally on a Sunday?) which I expected to be crap, but it turned out that the fit and finish were quite nice--better than my old one that cost about 5 times as much in fact--and two years later it still cleans like a champ.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
βœ–
Check out: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/index1.html
And go to : http://www.brightguy.com/index.php
Excellant reviews and a great place to buy flashlights. Two thumbs up!!
Add pictures here
βœ–
Bought a couple of aftermarket LED adapters to fit the AA Maglights last week. Ten bucks each. They have three LEDs and a cylindrical (mostly useless) reflector. I converted one of my Mags and it works fine but the focusing feature is gone, of course. We use Maglights as aircraft inspectors and we go through a heap of batteries and bulbs. Got to keep really fresh batteries in them since the lights dim as the batteries age, and new bulbs occasionally; the bulbs usually turn black long before they burn out. We will see how these LED adapters work out.
Dan
Add pictures here
βœ–
Dan_Thomas snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: