LED flashlights?

Does anyone have a source for LED flashlights that work very well and are reasonably priced? Please mention why you like the particular one you recommend,
don't just dump out an URL.
Thanks!
GWE
Grant Erwin writes:

I was in Beijing last week, where they were selling them with Maglite style bodies for $5 or $8. Worth the trip.
Richard J Kinch wrote:

Helpful, Richard. :-)
GWE
I got mine at Frye's, single AA for around $20 as I remember. Other than case differences, I am guessing the actual LED's are about the same from brand to brand. Mayhaps Don Foreman or Sphero can shed some "light" here.
Bob Swinney

Robert Swinney writes:

No, there is a huge variety of white LED characteristics (luminance, efficiency, phosphor color, output angle). And furthermore a range of grades within a given part number, as they are sorted by how well they turned out (for chip variations, optical flaws, etc).
Ain't necessarily "cheap" but I bought a $40 Coast LED Lenser V at Lowes 4 months ago. Beats the heck out of my mini Maglite. It will hurt your eyes if you look at it. I have used it 10-15 minutes almost every day and it is still on it's first set of AAAs.
--
Glenn Ashmore

I have purchased two of the same type. One at the Hershey auto swap and another at a local [SF Bay Area] flea market for $8. They take 3 AAA, cells and are quite bright. 4'' long and 1 1/8'' in dia. and have eight LEDs. I have other Mag styles that either take expensive batteries and are heavy or are not as bright.
Chuck P.

I looked at some with multiple LEDs in the display before I picked this one. They were a lot cheaper but this Coast was the only one that could burn my eyeballs in the rather brightly lit store and it only has a single LED. I have no idea what the technology is but it is good. It is 1" x 4.5" and uses 3 AAAs.
--
Glenn Ashmore

How good are they for distance? Everyone at work has a mini-maglite and we need them for their ability to shine on things perhaps 8-10 ft away (big dies). Is the Coast capable of making a reasonable spot at that distance?
Regards,
Robin
I have a couple of the Harbor Freight $19 jobs. If I remember correctly, they take 3 D cells and have 8 or 12 LEDs. For the money they work reasonably well.
Paul
Black and Decker shops have a credit card sized single LED flashlight for $2.00, handy to keep in the pocket, and great around a campsite, not for long (8 ft) distance. Ray

I have several of these;
http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID &7
It's now branded as Gerber or CMG Gerber.
I use them while working inside equipment, reading tiny serial #s, etc. It's plenty bright for bench work. It's not quite as bright as the "standard" two AA cell Maglight. It's built as solid as any Maglight.
It's on a neck lanyard so when I crawl out from underneath something I've still got it and I can just "drop it" without losing it. It runs on a single AA and I can leave it on for 24 hours with minimal dimming and I can leave it on for as long as I'm working on something.
--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

They have 15 LED's, Paul, and I agree. We have one and it works well. So well, I can say with total honesty I've never had a flashlight I've been so pleased to own, including a Maglite.
Harold

I have one of these single-LED lights that was purchased at Lowe's, and it's plenty bright over a fairly long distance. I was very impressed with the amount of light produced for removing hooks from catfish mouths from 30 feet away. It doesn't adjust to a spot, and the light is "colored", but it works far better than I expected.
Kevin

I just tested it against my old MiniMag. The MiniMag has fresh Duracells. The Coast still has it's original off brands. At 18' across a dark living room the MiniMag on tight beam makes a beam about 18" in diameter. There is no beam adjustment on the Coast but it makes beam about 8' in diameter that is brighter even at the edges than the MiniMag and considerably brighter in the middle 2'. With both shining on the same spot you can't even tell the miniMag is on.
It does have a bluish tint rather than yellow which takes a little getting used to.
--
Glenn Ashmore

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

I never did like mini flashlights of any brand much. If we're talking about mini flashlights, I don't really have much to contribute to the discussion, because I've never found one (LED or otherwise) which satisfied me. But if you want a flashlight with a spot which'll light up the whole damn town, buy a D-cell Maglite. Period. And if you want a weapon to boot, go for the 6-D.
Chris
On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 02:58:01 +0000 (UTC), Christopher Tidy

A 3-watt Luxeon in a D-size maglight reflector makes the Maglight look like a dim candle. It'll easily illuminate treetops a block away.
Glenn Ashmore wrote:
> [...]
I never did like mini flashlights of any brand much. If we're talking about mini flashlights, I don't really have much to contribute to the discussion, because I've never found one (LED or otherwise) which satisfied me. But if you want a durable flashlight with a spot which'll light up the whole damn town, buy a D-cell Maglite. Period. And if you want a weapon to boot, go for the 6-D.
Chris
PS: I love my Maglite. You can probably tell :-).

Glenn,
Thanks for the test, I appreciate your time. I think I'll have to go and find one of these units. We're always running out of batteries in the tool crib (cost consciousness on the part of the company I think) and this would be great.
Do you have the exact model number of your unit? I'm just googling "Coast LED Lenser V" and it seems to be coming up with all kinds of different options.
Regards,
Robin

Robin
I like the Coast LED Lenser. I have one. It uses 3 AAA cells. I also have a Cosmos 1 watt Luxeon pocketlight that is as bright as the LED Lenser but is smaller smaller. It uses a CR123 cell. I'd advise that you wait till Don Foreman replies to this thread before you purchase a LED light.
Jerry