LED flashlights?

It just says Coaster LED Lenser V2 and doing a quick Google I see what you mean. This is the only one I found that looks like mine
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/brandsplace/0246-ccc7736.html But I paid right at $40 at Lowes. It was on a rack with a bunch of other LED flashlights near the check out. Wish I could tell you more but the blister pack is long gone.
--
Glenn Ashmore

Glenn Ashmore writes:

These are exactly what is retailed on the street in Beijing for less than $10. Somebody's making a fortune importing them.

Richard
Do the Beijing flashlights have Luxion LEDs,and a collimator like the LED Lenser?
Jerry
On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 09:18:52 -0500, Richard J Kinch

Exactly? The Lenser V^2 is made in Germany by Zweibruder.
Don Foreman writes:

Oops, not quite, that black photo was a little hard to see. The one I brought back has 8 LEDs on 2 AAs at 200 mA (600 mW) with 5.5" length. Another fatter style has 12 LEDs on 3 AAAs at 200 mA (900 mW) with 4 inches length, and is uncomfortably bright. (My actual measurements, not just claims.)
They're obviously going for the tactical market: the fat one has "POLICE" engraved and paint-filled right on it. http://www.engrish.com /
On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 19:07:48 -0500, Richard J Kinch

Your power cites are battery power with fresh batteries. Some of that is lost in a dropping resistor. The Lenser V^2 (model 7736) uses a single Luxeon running at about 350 mA at about 3.42 volts (nominal).

See http://www.coastcutlery.com/?v=&pl 1&pT1
On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 13:08:06 -0500, Don Foreman

Oops. That one uses AAAA cells. The 7736 uses AAA's. Coast doesn't seem to offer it anymore, but you can get it at http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/CCC-7736.html

Yes, and the spot is considerably more uniform than that from a Mini-mag.
The beam divergence is about 10 degrees, with some "spill". I think you'd find it noticably superior to a Minimag. I do. It's quite able to illuminate a housenumber from the street.
Terra-Lux makes a retrofit for Mini-Mags that converts one to a 1-watt Luxeon. It has electronic regulation. The beam uniformity is not as good as that of the Lenser and some others, but it is plenty bright.

The Lenser uses a 1-watt Luxeon. Luxeon's are MUCH brighter than other white LED's. There are a lot of Luxeon-based flashlights. Some have electronic regulation so the light operates at constant brightness throughout battery life. (I don't think that is true of the Lenser)
The better ones cost more, of course.
If high brightness is really important, there are also some 3-watt Luxeon lights. They can actually be too bright for some tasks, like reading a map, and of course their battery life is significantly less.
I hesitate to recommend any particular model because new ones keep showing up. My personal favorite is a little 1-watt from Cosmos that uses a single CR-123 battery. I don't think those are available anymore, though I think they do have a 3-watt version.
http://www.ccrane.com/index.aspx check out this site - if you have a light - buy a bulb replacement.
I own the CC radio - this is a good company. No junk mail and doesn't bug. The radio is great to say the least. Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder
Glenn Ashmore wrote:

-

Grant
Don Foreman is so well informed on LED flashlights that I'd suspect his experience and knowledge is worth wauting for him to 'fil you in' on flashlights. His depth of knowledge on the subject of LED flashlights is "world class".
I have learned alot from Don. With his guidance, I have built Luxeon LED lights that illuminates a target 200 feet away. It is quite possible to get a LED light that fits in your pocket and is actually too bright for close up use. I own one.
I strongly recommend Aventrade for affordable LED flashlights (www.aventrade.com)
Jerry
I know the one I bought from Walmart is not the greatest, but I like it. It's a Brinkmann ($10 in sporting goods dept). It uses 2 AA's and it is 1-3/8 diameter x 5 inches long, with a focusing lens that throws a spot 48" diameter at 25 feet. It's quite bright to 25-30 feet and will light up something pretty well to maybe 50-75 feet. It may not be the best, but I was pleased enough that I bought one for each vehicle and gave one to my mom.
I'd also mention that 4-5 year old grandkids love to play with flashlights and LED's are the perfect thing for them. You'll never have to say "turn that off, you'll run the batteries down".
Regards, FS
On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 01:03:29 GMT, "Jerry Martes"

Grant Erwin wrote:

I have a Princeton "Attitude" that was given to me two years ago. It sees pretty constant use and is on its second set of 4 AAA cells. Its configuration fits in a pants pocket so that it is hardly noticeable.
< http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id 5524442241637&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id%34374302696981&bmUID25536854097 >
Ted
Grant Erwin wrote:

I don't know what your needs are, but personally I'm not a fan of LED flashlights because I don't like their broad beam. If you want a nice, tight beam, I don't think you can do better than a D-cell Maglite. I get about 14 hours battery life from my 2-D Maglite, too. But LED flashlights are small and handy to carry. My father has a little LED head torch and loves it. Just depends what you want it for...
Chris
The problem with my 2-D Maglites is that they are not bright enough. I recently bought a Streamlight headlight with a single Luxeon LED and it is far brighter than my Maglites.

AL wrote:

Maybe at very close range, but I'd be surprised if they are brighter at 30-50 m. By the way, I'm talking about the newer Maglites with Krypton bulbs.
Chris
I definitely wouldn't trade in my 3 D cell Krypton Maglight. You just beat it for distance. I keep it in my glove box but it is a club. My little high power LED sits in a pouch with my multitool and gets used a heck of a lot more than the big Maglight. I loved my MiniMag too. For years it helped recover router collets from the Twilight Zone and guided me back to the boat after to many bushwhackers but tonight making the test was the first time I have turned it on since I got the Coast LED.
Convenience regularly outweighs size. I have a peg board in the shop with every size and shape pliers made from big Vice Grips and Channellocks to tiny needle noses but the first tool I reach for is my Leatherman. It is the same with flashlights. If it is on your belt you are going to use it.
--
Glenn Ashmore

is
One if the problems with Maglites, ANY of them, is the limited lifespan of the bulbs. They're also not nearly as bright as the LED lights I've seen, so at this point I'm no longer interested in them. When they adopt LED technology, they'll likely be hard to beat, but I can't help but think they're enjoying the after market sales of bulbs, so that may be a long time coming.
Harold
Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

I bought my Maglite nearly two years ago and it's seen a lot of use. I've taken it all over the place in rain and dirt and really inhospitable conditions, including dropping it several times, but it's still on its first bulb. There's a spare one under the battery cap, too - I like that feature.
Chris