LED flashlights?

I never did like mini flashlights of any brand much. If we're talking about mini flashlights, I don't really have much to contribute to the discussion, because I've never found one (LED or otherwise) which satisfied me. But if you want a flashlight with a spot which'll light up the whole damn town, buy a D-cell Maglite. Period. And if you want a weapon to boot, go for the 6-D.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I never did like mini flashlights of any brand much. If we're talking about mini flashlights, I don't really have much to contribute to the discussion, because I've never found one (LED or otherwise) which satisfied me. But if you want a durable flashlight with a spot which'll light up the whole damn town, buy a D-cell Maglite. Period. And if you want a weapon to boot, go for the 6-D.

Chris

PS: I love my Maglite. You can probably tell :-).

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Glenn,

Thanks for the test, I appreciate your time. I think I'll have to go and find one of these units. We're always running out of batteries in the tool crib (cost consciousness on the part of the company I think) and this would be great.

Do you have the exact model number of your unit? I'm just googling "Coast LED Lenser V" and it seems to be coming up with all kinds of different options.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

I have several of these;

It's now branded as Gerber or CMG Gerber.

I use them while working inside equipment, reading tiny serial #s, etc. It's plenty bright for bench work. It's not quite as bright as the "standard" two AA cell Maglight. It's built as solid as any Maglight.

It's on a neck lanyard so when I crawl out from underneath something I've still got it and I can just "drop it" without losing it. It runs on a single AA and I can leave it on for 24 hours with minimal dimming and I can leave it on for as long as I'm working on something.

Reply to
Al Dykes

Robin

I like the Coast LED Lenser. I have one. It uses 3 AAA cells. I also have a Cosmos 1 watt Luxeon pocketlight that is as bright as the LED Lenser but is smaller smaller. It uses a CR123 cell. I'd advise that you wait till Don Foreman replies to this thread before you purchase a LED light.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Martes

It just says Coaster LED Lenser V2 and doing a quick Google I see what you mean. This is the only one I found that looks like mine

I paid right at $40 at Lowes. It was on a rack with a bunch of other LED flashlights near the check out. Wish I could tell you more but the blister pack is long gone.

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

I definitely wouldn't trade in my 3 D cell Krypton Maglight. You just beat it for distance. I keep it in my glove box but it is a club. My little high power LED sits in a pouch with my multitool and gets used a heck of a lot more than the big Maglight. I loved my MiniMag too. For years it helped recover router collets from the Twilight Zone and guided me back to the boat after to many bushwhackers but tonight making the test was the first time I have turned it on since I got the Coast LED.

Convenience regularly outweighs size. I have a peg board in the shop with every size and shape pliers made from big Vice Grips and Channellocks to tiny needle noses but the first tool I reach for is my Leatherman. It is the same with flashlights. If it is on your belt you are going to use it.

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

They have 15 LED's, Paul, and I agree. We have one and it works well. So well, I can say with total honesty I've never had a flashlight I've been so pleased to own, including a Maglite.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

One if the problems with Maglites, ANY of them, is the limited lifespan of the bulbs. They're also not nearly as bright as the LED lights I've seen, so at this point I'm no longer interested in them. When they adopt LED technology, they'll likely be hard to beat, but I can't help but think they're enjoying the after market sales of bulbs, so that may be a long time coming.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

check out this site - if you have a light - buy a bulb replacement.

I own the CC radio - this is a good company. No junk mail and doesn't bug. The radio is great to say the least. Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I bought my Maglite nearly two years ago and it's seen a lot of use. I've taken it all over the place in rain and dirt and really inhospitable conditions, including dropping it several times, but it's still on its first bulb. There's a spare one under the battery cap, too

- I like that feature.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Here is an LED conversion kit for the mini maglite:

I have not bought one yet, but it looks like the right idea.

I carry two mini-maglites in my toolbox, so between them I always have enough parts (bulbs & batteries) for at least one working one...

Reply to
Ron Bean

I have 3 LED flashlights...

First is a 5 LED 'Inova X5'

Got it as a gift about a year and a half ago, and have used it quite a bit. Brilliant white light, beautiful machine work... uses expensive looking 123A Lithium batteries, but as of yet, they show no sign of being run down. This light is much better suited as a close range 'flood' type flashlight, as are most LED's I've seen. As far as being used as a weapon, who cares. I stay out of those situations anyway.

The second one was also a gift. It's a Radio Shack single LED 'Hands Free Mini Task Light' part number 630-1143.

Sorry about the tinyurl, but the address is really long... you can just go to radioshack.com and search on the part number for the same thing. Uses 2 CR2032 button cells. It hangs over your ear and looks a like a little 'Boom Mic'. It's very small, and great for quick close rang hands free jobs. One draw back IMHO is it's pushbutton switch return spring is way to light, and easily switched on accidently in your pocket. This shortcoming has cost me 2 sets of batteries so far.

Third is a little keychain, single LED 'Pulsar P-1-BK'. Uses 2 replaceable 2016 button cells batteries, and sports a momentary 'squeeze' type switch. I didn't think much of it at first, but quickly learned to LOVE it. Probably used it an average of 3+ times a day in the

2 or so years I've had it. It's original batteries are even still strong. Nice thing about this one, is that I always have my keys (and it) with me. Even picked up a spare unit a while back. The downside is having to hold it on, but it's really more intended/suited to just taking a quick look at things than as a work light anyway. I can't recommend one of these inexpensive lights too much. (A neighbor got a very similar light employing a slide type switch. It was going on all the time in his pocket... waste of time)

Good Luck!

Erik

Reply to
Erik

They must not be too bad. My one and only 2 D cell model was stolen in the burglary we endured about 16 months ago. It was still on its first bulb, but I've had to replace the bulb twice now in the mini-mag (2 AA cells). They seem to last about ten hours. Needless to say, I was pleased to have the spare in the base-----which could prove to be very important under the wrong circumstance. Like the light--hate the bulb life, and the fact that it dims rapidly, very unlike the LED models I've seen.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Glenn: A good source for LED lights is this site. Lots of info light output ratings, comparisons, etc.

-Mike

Reply to
mlcorson

I got mine at Frye's, single AA for around $20 as I remember. Other than case differences, I am guessing the actual LED's are about the same from brand to brand. Mayhaps Don Foreman or Sphero can shed some "light" here.

Bob Sw>> Grant Erw>>

Reply to
Robert Swinney

No, there is a huge variety of white LED characteristics (luminance, efficiency, phosphor color, output angle). And furthermore a range of grades within a given part number, as they are sorted by how well they turned out (for chip variations, optical flaws, etc).

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

These are exactly what is retailed on the street in Beijing for less than $10. Somebody's making a fortune importing them.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Grant, Have you checked out the Led Museum? At

. This is a great site with lots of reviews. ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow

Richard

Do the Beijing flashlights have Luxion LEDs,and a collimator like the LED Lenser?

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Martes