Magnesium tubing?

?? Magnesium machines easily.

Reply to
John B.

NOT making any! That would be completely illegal. But I do wonder what would work...

Reply to
Richard

You are correct - but even a wooden match will self extinguish with the head up.

Reply to
clare

I have a drill press and a belt sander. I don't think I'm ready to drill rods.

Reply to
Richard

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

A plain wood splint will usually stay lit. Wooden match sticks are treated with ammonium phosphate to prevent their smouldering after being extinguished, and it serves as a mild flame suppressant, also.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Did Tonto and Willy Pete team up?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

What? I'd been hearing about gun bans but Y'all can't even have bows and arrows any more?

Reply to
John B.

?? A good solid drill press vise; careful setup; long drill. You can do it :-)

Reply to
John B.

My dad used to have a story about a fire at a Volkswagen repair shop, with a stockpile of engine blocks. He directed his guys to not put water on that part of the fire, and they got too excited to mind.

The fire got far more vigorous after some helpful soul put water on the pile of blocks. I don't know if they were already burning, or just hot enough to react with water when it was sprayed on them -- but they did burn the building to the ground.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

We were at the Mesquite Rodeo gun show this weekend and saw a gentleman selling magnesium rod fire starters.

He would scrape off some metal shavings (looked like short silver threads) and light them with a flint striker. They lit easy enough. But would barely stay lit without being prodded around some.

Interesting, but not he pyro I was thinking it would be.

Reply to
Richard

Richard fired this volley in news:0OednYreTtISDZfOnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Having made some for the U.S. Forestry service, I can tell you that incendiaries are much more complex than just a single burning substance.

Of course, the major part of the fire might be just one thing - like NaPalm - but it takes effort to get it on target and get it burning effectively.

Mine were launched from a 12-ga special-made shotgun (that wouldn't accept normal shells), and had to survive a direct shot of five meters into a solid barricade and still function properly; AND they had to travel at least 200 feet and not function until they landed, burning _entirely_ on the ground if not met with an obstruction.

And they had to throw an 18" flame for thirty seconds after igniting.

That was a whole lot of tech to get into a near-standard 2-3/4" shell!

LLoyd

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

You could email me some of those, Lloyd!

Reply to
Richard

Wow - that is a whole lot of tech.

Reply to