Making a press plate

I wanted to make a round press plate, for a 12 ton press, how thick should it be. Thanks

Ignoramus8090

3/32"
Reply to
Cydrome Leader

I would say 3/4", but it depends on what is has to bridge.

My press is about 6.5" between beams, and I usually start with two,

10"x3"x1.25" cross bars.
Reply to
Tim

About 6 inches.

OK, good to hear, at least I have that sort of size plates (3/4 a bit more), I do not need thicker size. Thanks

Reply to
Ignoramus8090

Reply to
RoyJ

I don't know about round plates but your local forklift dealer will surely have a few forks kicking around that they have cut up because of wear. The backs never wear out and make great plates as well as nice stock. 1 to 3" thick 3 to 8" wide 24 to 48" long. Most will be free for the taking if ya ask nicely.

Reply to
jeff

I would suggest a double plate. If you lay my bars together one way, they leave a 1.5" round hole in the middle. If you switch them, they leave a 3" hole in the middle.

Btw, my press is a 12 ton also.

Reply to
Tim

I think there's some ambiguity in the original post. I believe Iggy is talking about the rotating plate for an arbor press. The disc on my Greenerd #3-1/2 is about 11" dia x 1-3/4" thick.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Yes, that's what I am talking about.

I have a 3/4" thick plate that I can use for most projects, and two

1.5" bars, it should probably suffice. I would need to cut this 3/4" plate in several pieces and need to make some openings in this 3/4 plate. i
Reply to
Ignoramus8090

I used beam boy to run some numbers, for a 1 inch thick, 12 inch wide plate that spans the 6 inch gap, using 24000 lb load, the max bending stress is 18ksi, typical hot roll should be good for 36ksi, and the deflection is just under 10 thou inch. For a .75 inch plate, max bending stress is 32ksi, and deflection of

0.022 inch.

ignator

Reply to
ignator

A 12 ton arbor press must be an absolute monster. Where are the pictures Iggy? You are the best one in the group for posting pictures you have to have posted this.

CarlBoyd

Reply to
CarlBoyd

Same here. I thought most arbor presses were in the 3 to 4 ton range.

Reply to
Tim

It is an absolute monster. Weighs 600 lbs or more.

I put a little bit of a comment on that webpage to describe gthis press better, and mention what I have done to it.

Ignoramus9796

And its cast iron. Steel can be thinner

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American... There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language.. and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' Theodore Ro osevelt 1907

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Ive got (2) 15 tonners. They are only about 24" tall....

The handles...now they are pretty long.....long enough that they damned near reach the ground below the bench..... 'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American... There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language.. and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' Theodore Ro osevelt 1907

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Iggy,

3/4 with a 6" span is good for about 3-4 t>>
Reply to
Steve Lusardi