Making rings : need a good & cheap black white metal contrast

I'm wanting to make some mokueme gane rings.

I'm looking for a wearable mix of metals that will have a good contrast white/black pattern.

I'm also looking for cheap materials so no gold if any way possible.

ANy suggestions?

Reply to
John Fly

Contact my friend James Binion at

He has lectured, tought workshops and published papers on the subject.

Tell him, I sent you. That may help ... or not :)

Good is possible, cheap probably not.

Another person to contact is George Sawyer at

He knows me also. He may be less willing to share his knowledge, but you can give it a try.

Abrasha

Abrasha

This comes to mind:

But it's probably not feasible for mokume-gane.

-Frank

Reply to
Frank J Warner

Titanium cannot be bonded with non ferrous metals in a kiln, which is what is done in the mokume gane process.

So why do you mention it as a possible solution? :)

Abrasha

Abrasha

Ti and tungsten mokume is available as jewelry. The OP didn't specify ferrous/nonferrous.

I just saw some interesting mokume done with nickel and copper, from (old) pennies and 5-cent pieces.

Throwing ideas out at random. The OP can swat them out of the air as they fly by. :)

-Frank

Reply to
Frank J Warner

Wow! What an incredible array of knives. Congratulations!

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg