Making Square Holes In Stainelsss Steel

Does anyone here have to make square holes on a regular basis?

I need to make the 1/4" diameter holes in 1/16" thick stainless steel and have come to the conclusion that the best way is probably with a punch of some sort.(Hopefully a small and inexpensive one). But I wanted to make sure that there wasn't a better way, and wanted to ask if there was any kind of cutter that one can use with a Rotabroach(Hougen model #10904) that would make these square holes.(I'll probably have to make larger, deeper holes in the future).

I've read about some Watts Brothers bits that one can use in a drill press(which I don't have yet) for this purpose, but even those appear difficult to come by, and I wanted to entertain all of my options.

I've heard mention of Rotary Broaching to make square holes, but nothing concerning using a Rotabroach for this. :-)

Any advice would be apprecaited.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris Staten Island, New York.

Reply to